2005 A150 clutch drag/warranty?

Discussion in 'Engine' started by mart2453, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mart2453

mart2453 New Member

Hi any thoughts on the following would be welcome.
    Purchased a A150 manual in July last year car was just under 3 years old and had covered 21k miles. In december it was noted that the clutch was starting to be dificult and soon it was impossible to select gears on initial start up etc. Will now only drive if started in gear with clutch depressed etc.
    Had the car in at our nearest dealer who wanted us to pay for diagnostics etc, as the car had done less than 1000 miles in our ownership I decided that we should take it back to the supplying dealer who may be more helpful...(although part of the same group Stratstone)
    On booking the car in last Wednesday I had a discussion with the service manager who stated that it was unlikely that this would be covered under the Tier 1 MB warranty...
    Although not yet stripped down MB have offered to pay 50% towards the cost...this to me appears unacceptable for what I thought to be a premium brand etc.....any ideas / direction would be very welcome.
    Many thanks in advance. Brian Leeds.

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
  3. OP
    OP
    mart2453

mart2453 New Member

Thanks for that Diesel Man, I agree with your guess? it does look like it will be down to a slave cylinder fault of some sort. Still waiting to hear from the dealership as to why they want us to pay towards the cost though!... There is no clutch slip evident yet they believe it to be the clutch..
    If anyone has any more thoughts or suggeastions I would appreciate them.....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. OP
    OP
    mart2453

mart2453 New Member

Well it pays to be firm but fair with the supplying dealer in this instance! left the car with them and used one of their loan cars. Although it took a week and a half the car was pronounced ready for collection on friday 16/01/09. They have had to remove the gearbox and engine in order to de rust and lubricate the input shaft in order to resolve the problem etc. No cost to us so now happy again.....Only thought that I would add is that once left with the Main Dealer with firm instructions that I would not be contributing towards the repair costs I believe it wise just to leave them with your car whilst you take one of theirs. And do not contact them further....its also worthwhile letting the sales executive know of your problem...

5. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Unusual for it to rust if in constant use, but never the less a good result, you played it just right.

6. OP
    OP
    mart2453

mart2453 New Member

At last sourced a replacement for what has been a bad car / experience for us. doing a deal with another dealer to swap the horror A class for a little used older SLK 230. Fingers crossed for a return to MB usual build and quality etc.........