2005 A200 CDI Avantgarde CDi SE Aux input for iPod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lewh

Car
Mercedes A200 CDI Avantgarde
Hi all,

Firstly, please forgive my ignorance on such matters. I am a total noob and cars generally frighten me because if they break they are expensive to fix:)

Anyway, I know this is a well trodden path but I cannot find a definitive solution to my problem.

I would like a noddy guide on how to fit an aux input for the aforementioned car.

I have no idea what version of the audio unit I have. I've attached a photo of the front panel. Sadly, the owners manuals were missing when I bought it; I got some new ones off ebay but it looks to be for a later model than mine (told you I was rubbish:))

It has the CDC button though, and when I hold it in it selects Aux Input so it looks like it will take one. However I have no idea what part I need or how to actually fit it:)

Looking in the glove box, I got excited when I saw an aux input-sized recepticle. Sadly it's not been fitted. I have attached a photo of this too.

In addition, I have also read of low audio volumes when hooking up ipods in this manner. Is an amplifier the order of the day, and does this come as part of an official Merc kit?

Could any kindly stranger help this total newbie achieve ipod goodness in his vehicle please:)

Many thanks in advance,

Lewis

Attachments

• 2012-08-29 20.21.10.jpg
    2012-08-29 20.21.10.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 2012-08-29 20.22.16.jpg
    2012-08-29 20.22.16.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
Hi all,

Firstly, please forgive my ignorance on such matters. I am a total noob and cars generally frighten me because if they break they are expensive to fix:)

Anyway, I know this is a well trodden path but I cannot find a definitive solution to my problem.

I would like a noddy guide on how to fit an aux input for the aforementioned car.

I have no idea what version of the audio unit I have. I've attached a photo of the front panel. Sadly, the owners manuals were missing when I bought it; I got some new ones off ebay but it looks to be for a later model than mine (told you I was rubbish:))

It has the CDC button though, and when I hold it in it selects Aux Input so it looks like it will take one. However I have no idea what part I need or how to actually fit it:)

Looking in the glove box, I got excited when I saw an aux input-sized recepticle. Sadly it's not been fitted. I have attached a photo of this too.

In addition, I have also read of low audio volumes when hooking up ipods in this manner. Is an amplifier the order of the day, and does this come as part of an official Merc kit?

Could any kindly stranger help this total newbie achieve ipod goodness in his vehicle please:)

Many thanks in advance,

Lewis

Your car has Audio-20 fitted and that hole in the glovebox is a vent for cooling the contents of the glovebox.

You can easily fit an aux input to the rear of the audio-20. The part is about £35.

Alternatively you could fit an ipod interface. Cost for parts are about £220.

Fitting is very easy.

Many thanks for the reply Alfie.

:) So the hole I found is actually a vent for cooling the glove box?That's brilliant:)

Could you be tempted to say how I might accomplish fitting, and what part I needed?

As I said, I am a total noob, and all the guides I have found don't pertain to my car.

Cheers

not that brave, but thank you for the link anyway:)

Many thanks for the reply Alfie.

:) So the hole I found is actually a vent for cooling the glove box?That's brilliant:)

Could you be tempted to say how I might accomplish fitting, and what part I needed?

As I said, I am a total noob, and all the guides I have found don't pertain to my car.

Cheers

Its easy. Audio-20 out, plug in the AUX and put the audio-20 back.

20 minutes tops!

Hi lewh,

I may have a similar job to do on my C Class, depending on whether there is a pre-installed socket in the door sill to plug an aux lead into or not. If not I will have to remove the radio and connect to the back of the radio. Then run the cable to the pre-punched hole in the glovebox. Either way, both cables are available from Alfie & Richard @ www.comandonline.co.uk (These guys are the experts as you will see from numerous posts on here).

I have looked for radio removal instructions (easy when you know how) and came across this on youtube. I would think your A Class would be similar, though I don't know. BENZWERKS c-class radio removal - YouTube

If you are still unsure and are anywhere near Lightwater, Surrey you could get Comand to do the work for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
grumpyoldgit, thanks thats really useful. I will check it out

Alfie; everything is easy if you know how to do it:)

hi all,

hate to resurrect an old thread but I still havent got round to doing this job:)

I've just lifted the trim panel that runs across the passenger door.

I cant see a spare connector. Mind you, I cant see much because the floor panel is in the way.

Is there any chance that the connector is somewhere else? Behind the passenger footwell kick plate perhaps? I've just tried giving that a tug but its held fast somewhere:)
There's a little false panel on that kick plate. I prised the blanking cap off but there's just a hole:)

Any ideas guys? I'm terrified of breaking something:)

Cheers

A class doesn't have intermediate connector like some W203 C class have.

The AUX lead goes from back of head unit to a new hole 19mm that you drill in the glovebox below the little vent control

Speak to comandonline about what you need !

Cheers

Richard

npuk that link is bang on. many thanks:)

just fyi I completed this work last weekend.

It was almost as the link http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+APS+Retrofit-article-4.html suggested.

However, instead of using the Mercedes dash board removal hooks to remove the centre console vents I used coat-hangers, after receiving a tip from one of the Merc techs at my local dealer. I had to bend them into shape to go into the recesses first, then a firm, controlled pull got the vent unit out. You dont need to turn and twist like the otherwise excellent article suggests.

Also, another top tip was to use a thin plastic kitchen spatula to pop out the fasica panel surrounding the climate controls.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed.I now have ipod goodness back in the Merc:)

just fyi I completed this work last weekend.

It was almost as the link http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+APS+Retrofit-article-4.html suggested.

I purchased an aux cable from the net, same part number as in the article.

However, instead of using the Mercedes dash board removal hooks to remove the centre console vents I used coat-hangers, after receiving a tip from one of the Merc techs at my local dealer. I had to bend them into shape to go into the recesses first, then a firm, controlled pull got the vent unit out. You dont need to turn and twist like the otherwise excellent article suggests.

Also, another top tip was to use a thin plastic kitchen spatula to pop out the fasica panel surrounding the climate controls.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed.I now have ipod goodness back in the Merc:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom