2005 C-Class (CL203?) C220 CDi Hot Start Fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterLion

Car
SportCoupe C220 CDi (CL203)
Hello; I have a 2005 Mercedes SportCoupe C220 CDi (OM646 engine 110kW with air con) which, while it starts every time when cold, has developed a depressing tendency not to start when hot. But not all the time. If it's not going to start it turns over and clatters as if it's going to catch but doesn't. Give it three or four minutes and it will start—or possibly not. The thing is that it will always go eventually and then run perfectly until the next time it decides to mess me about. Mileage is a bit over 188,000 so it's likely that things will go wrong but this one has me and the service garage flummoxed (they are very good and I've been messing with cars for 50 years so I have some idea what goes on).

So far it has had four new glow plugs (two were dead and the other two were on their last legs). It's had four injectors; two failed the leakdown test spectacularly and the other two, again, were getting that way. Fuel pressure at the rail is very good which, on the face of it, seems to exonerate the high-pressure fuel pump although I am prepared to accept that that may have some sort of intermittent fault. Everything else checks out and their are no malfunctions noted on the dashboard; I have not been informed of any faults being noted by the diagnostic thingy.

The main symptom is that there appears to be insufficient fuel at the rail when the engine is hot. It's exactly the same now as before a lot of (expensive) work was done and it's getting a bit old. Leaving aside the fuel pump, which will be addressed when my finances have recovered a bit, are there any sensors that could cause this? Likewise, is there any way that air could be trapped in the system or should that bleed out by itself? I am fairly certain that there's no crud in the fuel tank or lines because the rest of the time there's no problem. Likewise there's no inrush of air if I remove the tank cap so no breathers are blocked.

Any ideas will be gratefully received…

Do you know what the rail pressure is when it's hot and trying to start?

To 91dm: I don't and I think I'll have to get that checked out again, basically because having had a new crank position sensor fitted, the car is exactly the same. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, and if you have any nore ideas I will be agog to hear them. Meanwhile I'll keep researching…

Cam sensor then. Decent code reader would tell if there is a sync or not (live data if no codes).

It is good to double check rail pressure; it is not triggering fault code ever, if problem exists only at cranking. Usually low pressure is first seen on cold engine, but I have rarely heard opposite case.

For info;-
The cam sensor sets the pump injection point once its synchronized through the ECM and "shakes hands" with the crank sensor signal ie "synchronization". It can be seen on a decent factory style scanner .
Equally what is the EGR percentage showing on a hot start? Stuck EGR ??
Then perhaps you might have a MAF fault related to one of the components its interconnected with, incl EGR .
Disconnect it and go for a fire up! See if it fires up since the system will base line-beware the CEL with get flagged .
Check to see if on that Euro model you have a viscous cooling fan or an electrically controlled modulated unit. (look for an electrical socket on the fan hub)
If its the latter, disconnect connector . MB has a quirky propensity to interface the cam signal with the cooling fan control. (A fault and it will not start)
The other can be a low pressure tank pump fault, drawing high current draw when hot and relay issues.ie low feed pressure to the filter and I presume from your narrative the filter is fairy new and clean Si or No Senor????
At this point its a question of a scan tool interrogation to find its cause .
Tuercas viejas

Cam sensor then. Decent code reader would tell if there is a sync or not (live data if no codes).

It is good to double check rail pressure; it is not triggering fault code ever, if problem exists only at cranking. Usually low pressure is first seen on cold engine, but I have rarely heard opposite case.
I have a diagnostic reader of the fairly basic amateur sort; this shows FRP (I translate as Fuel Rail Pressure) at or about 5,000psi when cranking, whether or not the engine fires, and continues at that pressure when the engine runs. That pretty much tells me that the problem shouldn't be in the fuel system.

Otherwise there are no fault codes, either stored or pending, to indicate what else may be problematic.

For info;-
The cam sensor sets the pump injection point once its synchronized through the ECM and "shakes hands" with the crank sensor signal ie "synchronization". It can be seen on a decent factory style scanner .
Equally what is the EGR percentage showing on a hot start? Stuck EGR ??
Then perhaps you might have a MAF fault related to one of the components its interconnected with, incl EGR .
Disconnect it and go for a fire up! See if it fires up since the system will base line-beware the CEL with get flagged .
Check to see if on that Euro model you have a viscous cooling fan or an electrically controlled modulated unit. (look for an electrical socket on the fan hub)
If its the latter, disconnect connector . MB has a quirky propensity to interface the cam signal with the cooling fan control. (A fault and it will not start)
The other can be a low pressure tank pump fault, drawing high current draw when hot and relay issues.ie low feed pressure to the filter and I presume from your narrative the filter is fairy new and clean Si or No Senor????
At this point its a question of a scan tool interrogation to find its cause .
Tuercas viejas
Thanks for all that! I'm going to have to go and check those things as best I can.

Cooling fan; as far as I can tell it's electric, although there is no visible electrical connection at the hub. I'm making this assumption as there is no mechanical connection between the fan and the engine (no belts or pulleys).

I'm still trying to sort this and I'm going at the cam sensor next. Problem I've got is that I can't work out (1) how many it's got and (2) where it/they is/are. The engine is OM646 DE22 LA. I want to do it myself if it's reasonably accessible but I'm terrified of breaking a bolt so any reassurance about that would be nice, too.

Do not play parts darts. Code reader live data will tell if your cam/crank get sync or not. ANd quickly shoe is problem in fuel pressure or not.

Cam sensor is more easily accessible in front of the engine. I believe google will tell you (sorry I am lazy and won't dig my SDS laptop where star finder or EPC are installed, plus I wont connect that computer on net).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom