2005 clk audio 20 audio input.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinker

Car
CLK 320 cdi and a vw golf
Hi all, great site. Brought a CLK 320 CDI back in February, my first merc :D Cars been great, love the pillarless coupe, really turns heads. The power is also very nice..........

Anyway down to business, i have searched the board and contacted comand, all with no joy.

I have an audio 20 unit with the 6 disc multi changer and wish to add an input for an mp3 player. I have searched the glove box for the input but no joy. Im now looking at purchasing a lead and fitting it myself, can anyone point me in the right direction....ie a part number?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for that, it look like mine will be the pre 2006 version. I would like to find the "white cable in the passenger footwell", I cant see one and so i assume carpet or trim has to be removed in order to find it, has anyone got any idear where i should start to look?

IIRC passenger side kick panel

Thanks for the info!

Would there be a chance that the cable is on the drivers side?
I've searched around for the connector with no luck so far.

I fitted this aux-in connector to my 2004 W203, which was a facelift version. I also replaced the aux-in with an ipod interface on my 2008 W209 so I have had those bits out. not sure if your model is the same but I can certainly tell you where to start looking.

whether this would work even if installed may well be down to what options are fitted on the car, as you will need to use the telephone buttons on the steering wheel to control the ipod, so I am iunsure if the car may need coding to change this - mine had the telephone pre-wire, so the phone was enabled.

The aux-in connector will be a single 3.5mm audio socket connector in the upper left hand side wall of the glove box near the front. If there is no socket there, then you should be able to see a small pre-cut 'press out' in the velvety covering of the glovebox. it is about the size of a 20p.

If you now open the passenger door, and remove the end panel from the dash - it unclips at the end you can get at, and then 'hinges away' - like opening the passenger door, and then you can see how to slide out the little brackets.

under the glove box on the left hand side there is a side panel with a single screw which is covered by a blanking cover. there is a small cut out that you can get a small flat screwdriver into to remove the cover and get at the screw. IIRC this is a torx screw. Once the screw is removed you will see that you need to remove the trim that comes down the side of the door - this just pulls off, and then you can see the little metal 'grips' that press onto the edge of the metal bodywork to hold that panel in place. You may also need to lift the front part of the clip on cover that runs along the bottom of the door opening. This again pulls off, but just lift slightly from the front, you only need to be able to edge out the panel from the footwell.

You should now (hopefully) be able to see a white 2 way connector with nothing coming out. this is where you would plug in the small loom. I bought the loom from MB, and it was about £20 back in 2004. You then just plug it in, route the cable and replace the panels. I can't remember if you need to thread the cable through the hole in the glovebox or if it offers up from the outside of the glovebox, but when it is in place the socket 'presses' together to grip the edge of the hole in the glovebox and give a smart finish - this is a 'snap' connector - so don't f*** about with it before hand, as it is a real pain to open up again...he says knowledgeably :rolleyes:.

to connect to the ipod you press and hold the CDC button and it will say aux-in active and off you go, you then get a male to male 3.5 mm jack cable and plug one end in to your ipod and the other into the new socket.

Good luck

Mines got a Headphone jack in the glovebox, upper LH side.

I just use a male to male cable from the iPod into this, then select Aux input on the dash, works perfectly...

My Cls on a 07 plate has the ipod lead in the glove box.
Tried to connect my Sony phone using the headphoneaudio socket in the glove box but no sound
Is the phone jack disconnected if there's an ipod lead connected??????

Last edited:
Is the sound turned up to full on the ipod?
Have you turned up the volume on the head unit.
Volume is pretty low on those at the best of times.

The intermediate connector (if it is there) is a 4 way connector about 1.5cm x 1.5cm and it will be in the wiring duct just inside the door sill, probably quite far forward. If you remove the door sill cover and pull carpet forward you can see if it is there. If it is there then you can buy the intermediate cable and installation is very trivial as you don't have to remove the stereo.
Otherwise you need the cable that goes all the way from the head unit to the glovebox

To select the AUX input on Audio-20 hold down the CDC button.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom