2005 cls sat nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRIXTON

Car
CL500 W216
Hi - am new to all this forum lark so bear with me - hopefully someone can help me - I have a 2005 CLS and the sat nav seems to not be working - I can prog in a destination but when I hit ok it says calucating route and then shows 'off map' - any ideas ?
Am also new to sat navs....
cheers

Hi Drixton and welcome to the forum...
Does it say 'off map' or 'off road'?
If it is 'off road' then you may be in an area that is not included in your version of the maps. i.e. an older map in an newly built estate etc... If that is the case then a newer disk may help.

When you drive off into a known (old and well established) road it may burst into life and give you directions.

The other possibility is a duff GPS aerial so the sat nav is not actually sure where you are.

When you are stationary press the map button and see where it thinks you are... does it show an area that relates to your actual position?

See if you are picking up any satellites.

Hi - thanks for the feedback - it says off map and on the map function it shows me in the middle of the Irish sea - am thinking its the antenna...no sign of any satellites being picked up - I assume it shows that a signal is being detected ?

I don't think it shows the number of sat's unless you go into the 'secret' menu.
Press and hold the mute button along with 3 4 & 6 for a couple of seconds.
Be careful not to accidentally amend the settings in there though!

You need a new gps aerial very ommon on this car to failing

What willow says^

The dealer offerred me a 50% discount to supply and fit a new aerial on my 06 cls when I pointed out that it was a common fault and that an aerial should last considerably longer than 4 years.

Well, as I have only acquired mine from a dealer 10 days ago they are fixing it for free - told them it is most likely the antenna - I said '..according to the MB club forum 9 times out of 10 its is the antenna..'
Left it in 3 days later at 10.00am - they called me at 5.15pm that day and said '..9 times out of 10 it's the antenna..'
doh !
Antenna is ordered apparently and I await a call to take the car into them
I will confirm that it solved the problem.
thanks for all the help and advice...much appreciated.

Will be ordering a ViseeO MB-2 - will report on how it works - have heard (?) they can have volume problems.
Apart from the sat nav am well chuffed - missus even likes it - it is a quick car for it's size and being an oil burner.

What else is adjustable on the 'secret menu' Nibbo?

Sorry for the late reply, been away all week with no Internet access...
Not sure what can be done in there but I did read a scary threat where someone had fried the boot data rendering the unit useless.
If you just go in, have a sneaky look and come straight back out it should be OK.
Funny enough though, I was navigating home today and it did show the number of sats so I was wrong all along anyway.
Thinking back a bit I seem to remember that it would show two dashes instead of a number if the GPS areal is the problem.

Hope you sort it anyway.

hi - well car in getting new antenna fitted - left it last night - no calls yet which is piss poor but I shall wait for an hour more then call - also had an odd hiccup 2 days ago - a couple of big hesitations then no real oomph - drove ok - smooth but just no real power, no response to kick down or good response from throttle - like it was in some sort of limp home mode - no lights bells codes or anything showing up - parked it and tried it a day later - taking it to dealer - and all was fine again...told dealer about it so he can at least dump the codes to see what happened - am getting a tad nervous...not v impressive for a low miler with full service history...

Is it a 320 CDI? Certainly sounds like limp mode which then resets when the ignition goes off.

Lets see if STAR flags up any fault codes as it could be any number of minor (or hopefully not, major) problems.

I don't think it shows the number of sat's unless you go into the 'secret' menu.
Press and hold the mute button along with 3 4 & 6 for a couple of seconds.
Be careful not to accidentally amend the settings in there though!

You can see the number of satellites by changing the view in the map display to be current location. On NTG 2.5 its in the compass display.

sat navs in mercs

this is a sat nav in 2006 pathfinder nissan are mercedes sat navs better

Attachments

• jeep 036.jpg
    jeep 036.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 41
  • jeep 038.jpg
    jeep 038.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 40
Got new antenna fitted - sat nav working fine now - no details (yet) on hiccup into limp home mode issue but car is running great again - have asked for a print / copy of all they did and the codes they found etc...am intrigued still and want the detail for car history / record.
Nice to have it back though - had a Vectra 1.9 150 bhp diesel for loaner - not a nice car!
Didn't know they fitted large ship anchors in the front - thing just wanted to go straight on all the time...tedious one touch wiper stalks...plastic interior, noisy, so bad.
Next step is getting a Viseeo MB2 for the phone system so I can use my b/berry - any cheap ones going ?
Am also getting wheels re-done just to have it all ok for winter...

Had an Infiniti M35 in US last year - sat nav was as you show - bloomin' brilliant for the multi lane highways...and getting to the right 'off ramp' withour being a total hooligan...
MB system is ok but not as good IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom