2005 e320 cdi strange rear self leveling suspension issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morrisman

Car
e320cdi estate
hello this is my 1st post on hear,firstly thank you to every one who helps solves problems on here for d.i.y folk like me you have already helped me solve a bodged repair to black death thank you,i got this car in late october due to my mother inlaw wanting a bigger estate so i could fit her and her mobility scooter and husban in (she is disabeled so am i hence the automatic for me) neither of them are slim!so i got this,left rear had a very slight lean on it so i expected it would need work on it,it then started dumping all the air out over night but would pump up fine the next day,after reading alot on here i changed the relay in the under bonet fuse box for a hella 1 also ive noticed no large 40 amp fuse and no were for it to go???that relay made no difference so i removed the n/s/f plastic wheel arch to get to compressor etc ive used decent leak detector no leaks the funny long u shaped pipe that goes from the compressor to what looks like filter had a huge hole so i replaced it made no difference,this is the strange bit iv had to park it up over winter as in cold weather it would not pump up the rears so iv left it till now and now its warm hey presto it pumps up??now i realise it may need new rear bags but b4 i comit to that expense id like to rule all other potential issues as money is tight,i have rung mb they want £120 just to put it on machine to diagnose it wtf!im near leeds does any one know an indy who is reasonable in price?id convert it to springs but i dont see £500 FROM ARNOT a fair price or value any advise would would be much appreciated thank you

If it is dropping at the back then it could be that the rubber air bags are leaking. If they are original to the car then they probably need changing. Aerosus are good too. There are various types depending on what system you have fitted. A good indie would be able to help you here.

If it is dropping at the back then it could be that the rubber air bags are leaking. If they are original to the car then they probably need changing. Aerosus are good too. There are various types depending on what system you have fitted. A good indie would be able to help you here.
hi thanks for that,yes im thinking rear bags will need changing but i find very odd that they dont work at all when outside temp is below 12c the colder it gets the worse it is very weird

When the rubber bellows get old they lose flexibility so will perform worse in very low temperatures. Pin hole leaks also can depend on where the suspension settles which can produce different leakage rates.

When the rubber bellows get old they lose flexibility so will perform worse in very low temperatures. Pin hole leaks also can depend on where the suspension settles which can produce different leakage rates.
that makes alot of sense thank you,i wonder why when temps are low that the compressor doesent seem to work as much as normal temps?thanks for the input its very appreciated

Sorry I cannot answer your question regarding the compressor but...

If you are buying the parts yourself try the Autodoc app (better price than ordering online). I paid £438 for a pair of Arnott Air Bags for my 212 E-class estate. All you need is a trusted mechanic locally as they appear to be plug and play (I paid mine £150 to fit).

You might also need to get the air lines checked for leaks as this might be a cheaper fix than just replacing the air bags?

With my GL it was quite hard to tell from the compressor running what was going on as there is a receiver tank which gets topped up as required. Obvious changes to car ride height would usually trigger the compressor. As for leaks from the rear bags I had one for ages but like you sometimes it was fine, sometimes it would drop. Depended where the pin hole was in the air bag as sometimes they can block themselves off as the bag sort of folds over on itself in the lower ride height position. Be aware though that all of this is causing your compressor to run more than usual and will wear it out eventually. They normally become noisier and noisier and run for longer and longer as they wear out mechanically so you get fair warning of impending doom. Not too expensive and easy enough to change usually. They can be rebuilt if you are handy like that, someone on here will know where to get the parts if you ask. Worth checking with soapy water in a spray bottle as it is not unknown for pipework to get damaged and leak etc. Put the car to maximum height if you have that facility and clean off the air bags with a hose then give it a go with the spray.

With my GL it was quite hard to tell from the compressor running what was going on as there is a receiver tank which gets topped up as required. Obvious changes to car ride height would usually trigger the compressor. As for leaks from the rear bags I had one for ages but like you sometimes it was fine, sometimes it would drop. Depended where the pin hole was in the air bag as sometimes they can block themselves off as the bag sort of folds over on itself in the lower ride height position. Be aware though that all of this is causing your compressor to run more than usual and will wear it out eventually. They normally become noisier and noisier and run for longer and longer as they wear out mechanically so you get fair warning of impending doom. Not too expensive and easy enough to change usually. They can be rebuilt if you are handy like that, someone on here will know where to get the parts if you ask. Worth checking with soapy water in a spray bottle as it is not unknown for pipework to get damaged and leak etc. Put the car to maximum height if you have that facility and clean off the air bags with a hose then give it a go with the spray.hi

With my GL it was quite hard to tell from the compressor running what was going on as there is a receiver tank which gets topped up as required. Obvious changes to car ride height would usually trigger the compressor. As for leaks from the rear bags I had one for ages but like you sometimes it was fine, sometimes it would drop. Depended where the pin hole was in the air bag as sometimes they can block themselves off as the bag sort of folds over on itself in the lower ride height position. Be aware though that all of this is causing your compressor to run more than usual and will wear it out eventually. They normally become noisier and noisier and run for longer and longer as they wear out mechanically so you get fair warning of impending doom. Not too expensive and easy enough to change usually. They can be rebuilt if you are handy like that, someone on here will know where to get the parts if you ask. Worth checking with soapy water in a spray bottle as it is not unknown for pipework to get damaged and leak etc. Put the car to maximum height if you have that facility and clean off the air bags with a hose then give it a go with the spray.
hi thanks for that i dont think mine has a reserve tank also i have the cover off that the compressor sits behind and ive used decent leak detector to check for leaks sll is fine at tha t end.thanks for your info appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom