2005 Highway Code revisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Classic! :D

The good news is that I have already taken a lot of those rules onboard, especially the stopping distances part! :rolleyes:

But seriously, lane discipline or indeed the lack of, is what annoys me the most these days. No indication, incorrect lane, general lack of observation and poor positioning. Motorways, roundabouts, road junctions and basically anywhere that's not a single-file row of cars going in one direction.

this is particularly relevant to an experience i had yesterday. approaching traffic lights that widened from 2 to 3 lanes, left land for left ans straight over, middle lane straight over only, right lane right only. long queues in left and middle lane so idiots decide to go to front of queue in right lane and try and cut in, when the lights changed to green no one in middle lane let any of them in, some **** in an old honda drives straight over from right lane and misses a right turning motorbike turning right from the opposite direction by centimetres...shocking

brilliant - and so so true :D

Came across a very honourable gentleman in a CL55 this aft who was clearly watching ahead - he was behind me, saw me coming up to a lorry(A1) and flashed me out rather than trying to squeeze past - so thank you kind sir :rock: :bannana: We don't all hold with all the new rules in the revised highway code ;) :D

Nice one. There is only one thing wrong with it - Drivers of modified cars below 1600cc (Chavs with neons and loud stereos etc) should be limited to 0 MPH on all road types.

pammy said:
Came across a very honourable gentleman in a CL55 this aft who was clearly watching ahead - he was behind me, saw me coming up to a lorry(A1) and flashed me out rather than trying to squeeze past - so thank you kind sir :rock: :bannana: We don't all hold with all the new rules in the revised highway code ;) :D
I often do that, but usually the other driver isn't watching or they give up because they see other cars and you end up being ignored while trying to help. Ditto for when people are waiting to turn right at a t-junction and I am approaching, if I can let them out and cut the corner off I will do so, even if it means blocking the road a little to make sure no-one gets past from behind me. 50% of the time they "slip into a coma" like the new rules state and basically ignore me. I think for some people you have to stop completely, flash the headlamps, use the car horn and then hand them written notification to set off! ;) :rolleyes:

I've pretty much given up letting people out of junctions, or even leaving gaps for them unless there is a KEEP CLEAR or a box junction. If you want to know why, read this classic from a long time ago!

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=535

Yes, remember that thread - it was once pointed out at an IAM meeting I was at that you should be careful when flashing people to let them out. If they then pull out and hit someone in that manner you could (very distant could!) be held liable as the other driver could argue that 'he indicated by flashing his lights it was clear to go'. I leave gaps sometimes but never flash or wave.

:D Very good, where do I get the neons from :D :D When letting people out of a junction, I just stop and let them make their own mind up. In todays litigation driven society, if you flash your lights to let them go and they hit or are hit by another vehicle could they not hold you responsible, after all you said it was ok :eek: :confused: :D :D

Very good, rule 94 should particularly apply to 3 series drivers........

I just drove to Cornwall and back (not all in one day :rolleyes: ) and counted how many BMW and Mercedes drivers had their front foglights on unnesisarily ....( i was bored )

The results based on 300ish miles of travel :-

BMW foglights on : 17
Mercedes foglights on : 3

The BM's were mainly old 3 series (E30) with the occasional M3 replica thrown in for good measure...

Shude said:
Classic! :D
But seriously, lane discipline or indeed the lack of, is what annoys me the most these days. /QUOTE]

Indeed, I have grown a bit impatient lately and have started undertaking after getting bored of sitting on the inside lane with my indicater on. (That's my personal preference. My gf thinks its agressive and I should flash cars out of the way instead. I disagree. I'm glad she doesn't check this forum.)

j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom