2005 ML 270 BAS/ESP/ABS/ETC LIGHTS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eldomix

Car
ml270 2005
Hi I have an ml270 my2005 with the BAS/ESP/ABS/ETC lights on I have no low range or cruise control
my icarsoft i980 will not communicate with the abs/traction control, brake assist or transfer case modules but worked fine on everything else. Any information or advice would be appriecated

Had same with my ML, get it on a Star machine , likely to be a wheel sensor , however it could also be low battery charge or gearbox speed sensor. Mine was a front wheel sensor, after replacing it it was good for 50 miles then warning returned, put it on Star again at the Indi, needed rear wheel sensor but I replaced the speed sensor at same time. Finally reappeared about 750 miles later, problem was low battery as it was getting old and while it would start ok if you put fan, heated seats , lights and wipers on as soon as you drove off the warning showed up as battery struggled

This could be a number of things, SAS, ABS module, or as suggested, low battery.
I had ESP/BAS and ABS light on some while ago, and my MB2 suggested vehicle required a test drive to clear. I cannot remember the procedure, but it is on a thread i posted somewhere last year, series or turns and stuff. It cleared all the lights in one shot.
Have you tried a SAS reset, lock to lock then drive of straight ?
The MB2 machine does quite a lot more than the I980.

found the thread i posted, here is the process below

Flabbergasted, never has my gasted been so flabbered !!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED
After 10 days of driving with the ABS light on, and it was unable to be reset by scanner, just kept coming back on, after a lot of research on line, found the drive test process. I did it just once, light went out at end of test, driven about 20 miles since, stopped and restarted about 10 times, still not come back on, so fingers crossed, resolved. In case any other member has same issue, here is the process copied from a STAR document.

using scanner, ensure there are no uncleared fault codes, and only the "road test" fault is present, end diagnostic and disconnect scanner.

Road Test
1. Switch off ignition
2. Start engine
3. press ESP off switch, ESP warning light and BAS/ESP light will come on, ESP will now be switched off
Note. The road test must be conducted with-in 15 seconds
4. Drive the vehicle forward at approximately 6-10 mph (must keep constant speed)
5. After a short distance (few yards) turn the vehicle left and then right. The steering wheel should be turned between 90 and 180 degrees.
6. with in 10 seconds begin turning a quarter circle and then briefly steer in the other direction.

The lights will go out if successful. If not repeat process from 1. Its important not to turn steering wheel more than 180 degrees, I marked the top with a bit of masking tape so I knew where it was all the time. You must also keep to the correct speed.

It worked for me, I hope it may help someone else out.

A big thank you for all the replies, the car has been on a star machine which diagnosed no communication to the right rear wheel sensor. I checked the ABS sensor which was fine but on tracing the wires up to where they go into the body I found a broken wire which I resoldered and insulated and this has fixed the problem

I have already rebuilt the ABS pump motor a couple of months ago with new brushes and bearings, baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom