2005 s320 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kunwarchohan

Car
S320 cdi
Hi all,

Merry Christmas to everyone. I would like some advice and help please. I have seen a 2005 s320 cdi for sale. I am very tempted to buy it as I love the w220 shape as i think its timeless. I currently drive a 2006 e220 cdi estate and is a good solid car. I am about to take the leap to my dream s class however want some practical advice.

What is the running costs like? I’m assuming the 320 cdi will drink diesel? Also what should i be aware of when purchasing the car? Is the air suspension and the rest of the car worth running away from? It’s done nearly 85,000 miles and had a couple of owners. I’ve been told the air suspension has been replaced on the front for both. Am i right in thinking that I’m buying a money pit? Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. I truly love the w220 s class but just wondering if i should stay away for good! Anything else to be weary of?

Thanks in advance

I have been running a 2005 W220 320 for just over 3 years, on motorway driving it will deliver the good side of 40MPG. I do my own servicing and apart for needing to buy two 5L bottles of oil all other service items are comparable to other marks, it's worth watching ECP for the 50% of oil discounts and buy ahead of time in that way you can get all service items for around £75 including cabin air filters and fuel filter. Apart for annual service usually at around 7K miles I have replaced 1 ABS sensor, 1 thermostat and a corroded brake pipe. in summary I'd buy another and would not worry too much about repair/service costs as the risk on any >12 year old high tech car is significant but check service and MOT history, give it a good 20 mile test drive and take the plunge.

What is the running costs like? I’m assuming the 320 cdi will drink diesel?

If you only do short trips, it will probably return early 20s MPG at best. On a run (as said) it should give 40+ MPG.

Is the air suspension and the rest of the car worth running away from?

Nope

It’s done nearly 85,000 miles and had a couple of owners. I’ve been told the air suspension has been replaced on the front for both. Am i right in thinking that I’m buying a money pit?

Why a money pit? Air suspension (like any other suspension) will eventually fail. The fact that the fronts have been done is a bonus, saves you paying for it. 85,000 miles is low for that age of car. You must remember though that it is nearly 15 years old and parts will need replacing in the future. It sounds like a good car so just buy it if you can afford to do so. Try and keep at least £500 in a pot for unexpected repairs and you will have a lovely car.

My neighbour has just purchased an S350 '04 plate with 185K miles for sub £1000 and it is in lovely condition.
Go for it.

Thanks for all the support guys i really appreciate it. I currently have the E220 cdi and that is lovely but it is time i make the move! The W220 has been on my wish list for a long time now. Only thing its missing is the distronic and massage seats but any chance of getting that retrofitted? I’m not too fussed about the massage seats. I’m going tomorrow to pick it up. I’ve been watching YouTube videos and there is a drain near the windscreen which should be kept unclogged? Can’t wait to pick it up! Hopefully i wont miss the boot size of my e class too much!

Sorry another question - do they come with bi xenon as standard? I’ve attached the headlights it has. I’m trying to think of other stuff it will come as with standard spec? Thanks

Attachments

• 9E730712-211D-4FDB-8B84-E02B4CF2568A.jpeg
    9E730712-211D-4FDB-8B84-E02B4CF2568A.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 2
If you have the VIN, one of us can get the spec for you

Thanks - I’m going to pick up the car this weekend. But i think the VIN is WD2200252A4768053

That VIN is not correct..... It will not decode anywhere I try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom