2005 SL350 R230 trim misshap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sitigeltfel

Car
2005 SL350 & Freelander for the boring bits
The cover for one of the roof support arms on my car has become detached and in the process the lugs on the trim it attaches to were broken. Can anyone advise if it is an easy (inexpensive) fix to get at the trim that holds the lugs, and replace it, or is it a complicated (expensive) dealer job?

CIMG1924.jpg

CIMG1924.jpg

The good news - it's quite straightforward to get the panel off.
The bad news - it's not at all easy ti repair.

To get it out (from memory) - there is a metal cap to above the door striker plate - the "top corner" of the wing - just behind your shoulder - three torxx screws & it's off. There is then a horizontal nut located precisely where the bit broke off - loosen that. I think thereafter just a couple of hidden panel clips hold it in place then it lifts out.

The design is poor - just a couple of small plastic mouldings through which a rod passes - the rod should also go through the part if your hand and to make sure you need three hands, thers a spring attached to the rod to keep it closed.

Once it's off it's quite apparent how it should fit together.

Dealer will simply sell you a new panel at a price to make your eyes water

Then the fun starts - depends where it's broken - there will be a way with a combination of good adhesive (recommend JB Weld) and other bits of plastic you must have lying about but no "standard" repair.

Best of luck - it is "doable" - just take your time :thumb::thumb:

Thanks lxi, that will help me get into the gubbins. As you say, the repair may be the tricky bit.

It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that led to the damage. My wife and I were unloading the car after a weekend away and the bootlid was up. I leant over to pick up something that had fallen behind the seat, supporting myself with my free hand over the panel on the rear deck, when my wife pressed the button to raise the roof panel inside the boot. The roof support pushed the little panel up against my hand, twisting it in the process, damaging the lugs. :doh:

Just had a rethink of when I took this panel off (three years ago!)

It might also be necessary to remove the curved panel that goes from the storage box behind the seat round to meet where the door closes. If so, you pull up the kick plate at the back (simple) to let you pull away the door seal as it goes up the metal place - again simple and goes back in place easily. Once again that curved panel takes a little bit of manipulation to get back in place with all clips joined, but not rocket science, no real danger of it breaking & no special tools needed

The more I think about it the more I think it does have to come out to give access to the retaining nut mentioned previously

OK, got that. Will wait until tomorrow morning before tackling it. Far too hot at 36C just now. :cool:

My heart goes out to you !! :rolleyes:

Vario Roof Trim

The cover for one of the roof support arms on my car has become detached and in the process the lugs on the trim it attaches to were broken. Can anyone advise if it is an easy (inexpensive) fix to get at the trim that holds the lugs, and replace it, or is it a complicated (expensive) dealer job?

CIMG1924.jpg

CIMG1924.jpg

Hi sitigeltfel,
I just had the same problem with that part. Would you please tell me how did you finally fix it? Do you happen to have any part number?
Thanks a lot.
P

yes please provide some instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom