2005 SLK 55 Winsdscreen Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
My 2005 SLK has a cracked windscreen, which will have to be replaced. Because of the age of the car, I spoke to the local dealer to see if they are still available. They are, in Germany, and will take about a week to get here.

I'll get Autoglass to do the job, paid for by my insurance, but the parts man also told me that Mercedes stipulate that the rain/light sensor for the wipers and automatic lights has to be replaced at the same time. Please could somebody post the technical instruction on this, so I can ensure that Autoglass are aware of it and include it in the job?

Thank you in anticipation (he said hopefully...)

I’ve heard of the sensor needing calibrating but not that it needs replacing 🤷‍♂️

That's what I was told.

I checkd, and I have the part illusatration from MB; it does actually say "ALSO ORDER: LIGHT SENSOR OR RAIN/LIGHT SENSOR.."

I checkd, and I have the part illusatration from MB; it does actually say "ALSO ORDER: LIGHT SENSOR OR RAIN/LIGHT SENSOR.."
Do you know if this is something you're going to have to buy yourself or if it's coming as part of your insurance?

I intend to try to insist on the screen being replaced to MB specification, which will require the sensor replaced as well. If Autoglass won't play, I'll pay for the sensor myself; it's only about £80.

That's good to know, thank you, but MB do specify that it should be done.

I've had windscreens replaced on an Alpina and a pair of Audi's in the past, all had rain sensors and the last Audi I had (an A6) had a camera too. The screen generally comes with the sensor module already attached, to the best of my knowledge they're covered under a single part number when ordered by Autoglass.

Never needed to calibrate anything after the work (on any car).

Not on the SLK; the mounting bracket for the rear view mirror and sensors is already there, but that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom