2005 SLK auto or manual?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're considering an R171 SLK200 then I would suggest going for a 2008-on R171 facelift (184PS) with a 6-speed manual gearbox. The auto is quite dull, but goes just as well. Also consider sport pack (you get bigger brakes, nicer wheels, lowered suspension and the lip spoiler on the boot lid).

The one we had was a poverty spec facelift 200 with manual box and would have benefitted from sport pack.

Those that say the 200 is for the faint hearted and skirt wearers, I say this. When we went on run outs with the guys from the SLKworld forum, our 200 held its own very well with the V6 and even V8 variants. Sure in a straight line they could pull away, but whenever things tightened up a bit on the B-roads, if we were in front we could drop them from time to time. It's not all about power and 0-60 times.

All that said, if you can find a facelift R171 350 with a 6-speed manual gearbox on 17" rims... those pedal along very nicely.

Edit - If you're considering a 280/300 (3-litre V6), look for one with sport pack. The standard spec on 16" rims has the same or similar one-piston front calipers that the standard 200 has which are not the best.

Last edited:
Didn't the R171 V6s suffer from balance shaft issues until 2008?
You are being redirected...

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

We had an 05 171 SLK200 manual for 2 1/2 years and it was fine to drive up until it was written off last year. It was mainly used by my wife for a 3 mile trip to work then back and it done the job quite well. It was pretty good on fuel as well. When I tried an auto and a manual back to back I found the auto pretty lethargic with the manual seeming a bit quicker from get go but a bigger engine would solve that.

A friend has a 54 plate 171 350 and that goes well but does like to drink fuel. Didn't the early V6's have balancer shaft issues? Watch out for rusty rear subframes that need attention.

Have you looked at the CLK convertibles? There a lot of car for the money although you might get hit with the sun premiums at the moment but they seat 4, can have good spec and go well. I found having just 2 seats meant she'd take my car (until we got a CLK convertible) and I'm really not a fan with the grand kids leaving drink and biscuits down the side of my seats.

I'm really impressed by the Vauxhall van, and its driver, on the other side of the Moggie, though. 50mph in reverse; fancy that...

The van is driving North on Tolworth Rise South, which runs closely parallel to the A3 for about two miles down to Tolworth tower

The Morris Minor systematically overtook a steady stream of cars all the way down the A3 from Putney as far as the Esher by-pass.

Poor photo: “I just can’t get The Staff these days.”

Point remains, on a very tight ownership budget, there’s little point in having a larger engined car unless it has the SLK55’s SCD feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be aware that the R171 can have serious rust problems in the rear subframes. Not apparent with just a look. This can be extensive and will require a new subframe.
The m271 is well known for timing gear/chain issues so if you are considering one you really should know its history.
Having said that, they are a lovely smooth and relatively powerful engine.
The six speed manual is a nice box. Baulky when cold, but still a nice box. Personally I wouldn’t rule it out as it does fit the car’s personality well.
I would bypass the R171 if possible and go for a R172. Much nicer imho - just check that the roof hasn’t delaminated, or has been replaced.

Point remains, on a very tight ownership budget, there’s little point in having a larger engined car unless it has the SLK55’s SCD feature.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recognise the acronym (not SLK55, silly...:D).

I don't recognise the acronym (not SLK55, silly...:D).

The SCD ? That’s the MB code for the Mercedes equivalent of JKRCI. Vital for exploring the full abilities of the SLK55 and SLK350

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a 58 plate (facelift) R171 280 with 7 speed auto.
It has to be worked hard to perform unlike our previous R172 250cdi auto. That said it is a pleasure to own.
SWMBO uses it as her daily driver about 4 miles each way to & from work, approx mid to high 20's mpg. On a long dual carriageway run I have had over 36mpg out of it.

A friend has a 54 plate 171 350 and that goes well but does like to drink fuel.

Didn't the early V6's have balancer shaft issues? Watch out for rusty rear subframes that need attention.

Have you looked at the CLK convertibles? There a lot of car for the money although you might get hit with the sun premiums at the moment but they seat 4, can have good spec and go well. I found having just 2 seats meant she'd take my car (until we got a CLK convertible) and
We have a 58 plate (facelift) R171 280 with 7 speed auto.
It has to be worked hard to perform unlike our previous R172 250cdi auto. That said it is a pleasure to own.
SWMBO uses it as her daily driver about 4 miles each way to & from work, approx mid to high 20's mpg. On a long dual carriageway run I have had over 36mpg out of it.
When we went on our trip to Italy, the first leg together was from Ashbourne in Kent, on the ferry and then through Belgium to Koblenz. We all tanked up in Ashbourne and again in Koblenz. Our SLK 200 used 1-litre less fuel than our friend's SLK350. The journey included some deristricted sections of autobahn so it wasn't amazingly great fuel economy, but it wasn't sent shockingly bad either. Around 40mpg I think, but I don't remember the exact number.

The SCD ? That’s the MB code for the Mercedes equivalent of JKRCI. Vital for exploring the full abilities of the SLK55 and SLK350

As you're new to MB, I'd better clarify the comment about Mercedes SCD and JKRCI.

SCD is Speed Camera Delete. That's the button on the dash that you press to switch off all the speed cameras on the road as you drive through the UK's Smart Motorways, dual carriageways and country A Roads. Dashed useful thing - really needed when you're flooring a 5.5 litre engine delivering 355bhp in a tiny lightweight little car. 0-62 and 6 points on your licence in less than five seconds if you forget to press that button.

JKRCI is the industry standard (non-MB) version: the JK Rowling Cloak of Invisibility.

Not to be confused with MM, the much more expensive Marauders' Map option, which enables you to drive at 155mph on the secret network of perfectly paved Motoroways and Nordburgring style A levels which cover the UK - but known only to those who have specified MM on their SLK.

I don't understand a word you are saying. Do you speak any C180ish?

Despite all the advice to buy more powerful cars and vehicles half the age and three times your budget, I'd still suggest that you start by looking at a good local 2005 SLK200, in either manual or Automatic. £5k gets you a nice one owner, full service history car, with less than 60k on the clock, that originally cost someone £30,000+. What's not to like? And, once you've taken a drive in one, work out from there whether you need extra power, or feel the need to pull an extra £10k out of your pocket to buy a £15k car instead of spending just five grand on a lovely little Mercedes.

6f334b7f756a40feaa4dc73a143fec3d.jpg

As an ex-SLK55 owner, I can thoroughly recommend them, but in real life the SLK200 is probably quick enough for day-to-day use. The good thing about the SLK, from a manual gearbox point of view, is that it has a conventional handbrake - doing a hillstart in a manual Merc with a foot operated parking brake is an exercise in itself..

Cheers,

Gaz

How good and reliable are what, it was not clear from your question? Manual or automatic?

The SLK is no sports car and an automatic suits it's character of an open top tourer. Some models will be 5 speed automatic and others with larger engines will be 7 speed. Both are reliable if looked after and have transmission fluid changed at the correct intervals.

Huh?

As you're new to MB, I'd better clarify the comment about Mercedes SCD and JKRCI.
Ah! Now I understand...

It's the same thing I know as WTFBSIT under another name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom