2006 B150 Manual Transmission Faulty??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abz2005

Car
2006 Mercedes B150
Evening All,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me with a problem with I'm having with a recently purchased B150. This thread may be in the wrong section so admin please move if it is.

So onto the problem, it's a bit of a long one so apologies in advance, the car is a B150 with manual transmission, now I think there's a bearing going wrong in clutch, gearbox as there is a noise when I take my foot off the clutch, when pressed the noise disappears, this I can live with for the time being, the other thing I noticed the movement in the gear stick when pulling away in first or reverse, I've never had this on a car before it doesn't seem right to me. Now onto the big problem I haven't driven this car I'm quite scared to because of the noise coming from the front end, when moving forwards and turning, even slightly turning, there's an almighty clanging, crashing sound, also I've noticed a whining noise when driving in a straight line.

I'm thinking (praying it's not) this may be a gearbox problem, I would've said possible wheel bearing but never heard a wheel bearing clanging/clanking when turning (please correct me if I'm wrong), it could be a CV joint or drive shaft. Is there any way to check? I did change the ball joint on the passenger side at the weekend as there was some movement in it, and that's the side where most of the noise is coming from, I did have a prod/feel/lever and everything else seems pretty solid so wouldn't say suspension unless it's a top mount.

Would anyone have any ideas what I could try next? any help would be really appreciated and again sorry for the extremely long post

Take it to MSLP in Brum and get them to tell you what is wrong!

Thanks for your quick replies, Bert Rowes website is fantastic lots of great info. I know of MSL in Birmingham I might get the car recovered there as I'm too worried to drive it anywhere sounds like the wheel is about to lock up or drop off.

Thanks again for the replies

Buy the cheapest AA/Rac cover that does recovery and drive it toward MSL if it breaks call them out if not get it to MSL and ask whats wrong?
Dont go on a motorway, stay to residential!!

Yes, avoid motorways at all costs...!

If you can get it to Armoury Road, you are laughing...

The clanking while turning sounds like the CV join has gone. The noise when release the clutch sounds like the release baring of the clutch assembly. The Wobbly gear stick is likely to be the selection mechanics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom