2006 C320 Cdi with 415,000 km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pierrew252

Car
2006 C320 Cdi
On startup sometimes it charges and will continue to do so. Sometimes not charging ( I have my meter connected to the battery. Then I switch off and restart untill it starts charging. Have changed battery, reconditioned Valeo alternator, checked all ground connections, cleaned terminals. What else? I have now ordered an original voltage regulator and will check.........??????.

No idea... but that's quite impressive mileage you got there. That's 260,000 in old money... :)

Is the battery discharging to flat?

What is the lowest voltage after a run?

How do you know it's not charging? How do you measure charging? Are you looking for 14.5v but seeing only 12.7v?

And didn't the recon alternator come with the voltage regulator?

Could the belt be slipping?

If it charges after startup the voltage remains at 13.4. If it does not charge after startup the voltage will reduce to the point of failure/shutdown.

Reactions: m80
If it charges after startup the voltage remains at 13.4. If it does not charge after startup the voltage will reduce to the point of failure/shutdown.
13.4 is low anyway if that's measured a few minutes after starting while still running. 14.7 volts would be expected on a 2006.

You must be getting down to around 11 volts for 'shutdown', which is pretty flat. Tbh I would be considering the battery first (even though you have changed it already). It might well be the voltage regulator but swapping the battery is easier.

13,4V is low... even if communication to voltage regulator has failed, regulator should go 'limp mode' and charge 14,3V constant.... so I assume something is reaading voltages wrong and(or the are some grounding problems.

My volt meter is connected straight to the battery. It sits on the pax seat and I check it at startup. When it charges it starts at 14.3 and soon teaches 14.7. Once it charges I can go all day....
Also the alternator is noisy when it charges( like a small compressor)??
And yes the regulator was changed (oem) during overhaul.
long.

Main thing is nothing rusts in Johannesburg, helps a lot with old MB's 👍
Looking over here in Spain for a E320 a few with 500000kms one a 2009 has 795000kms and still looks in good condition.Hope you sort your electrical gremlins out soon.

Thanks to all ...problem is solved. Voltage regulator was changed twice with OEM . Third time with MB part which solved the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom