2006 C320CDI Rear Box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KeithJG

Car
Vauxhall Tourer
Here is another anti MB story.....

Having had the oil changed this week when up on the ramp (i like the drain plug used to get rid of any sludge ) the rear box was found to have holes in and the rear hanger had rusted off the box also.

The garage phoned around and found out that this is a captive part by MB and so it cannot be bought outside the dealership.

MB Ashford was phoned and there is an 8 WEEK lead time!!!:fail

So off i went to Fast Car Conversions at Ashford just around the corner from MB and had a custom made power flow rear box in stainless steel made exactly as i wanted with different tips.

Although i waited 3 hours it was worth every penny of £250 + £20VAT= £300
including fitting...... also comes with a lifetime guarantee.

MB wanted £271 +VAT = £325 NOT FITTED and not in stainless steel.

As the diesel engine is not noisy the rear box can be made straight through with great effect on mid speed acceleration and pull....although the 7g gives this already to good effect with it`s extra torque......the new rear box adds to this also with no booming but a nice subtle burbling note. The tips are staggered back slightly to blend with the rear body kit.

All in all a nice experience today and would recommend them without question.:thumb:

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 24
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20170411_14221.jpg
    20170411_14221.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 23
So long as you're happy that's the main thing.

Though, for future reference, rear boxes for S203s are available on Ebay for about £60. I used just such a box on my old S210 E320cdi...it lasted longer than the car.

Just saying.

Draining the 642 engine leaves about 800ml in the sump. You are best to extract it. If there is any sludge in there then you have serious issues!

I understand what you say Olly i have the oil changed after only 4k at the most and the engine gets more than it's fair share of full throttle.

It has been sucked out twice by indies and once out the sump nut by my very local friendly garage.

My hand book says 8.5 litres and i measured out exactly 8 litres for the latest change and the level afterwards is about half a litre from maximum, so in this particular case it mostly all came out.

Alex i did get your subtle grin.......naughty boy;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom