2006 ML 320 CDI W164 - Please help with some electrical gremlins!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

-AJC-

Car
ML 320 CDI
Finally able to collect our new purchase yesterday.......

IMG_1701_zpsi27fhj14.jpg

IMG_1697_zpswvq8zj3d.jpg

IMG_1694_zps7vukcgz6.jpg

IMG_1692_zpsix6rpol5.jpg

IMG_1707_zps1yogvbph.jpg

It had been repossessed after the previous owner failed to pay a parking ticket!! Managed to contact the previous owner who was incredibly upbeat considering the circumstances and was kind enough to supply the keys, V5c and paperwork. :thumb:

The car has been stationary for some 4 months and needed some help from a power pack but then started first time.

Then made a start today working through some of the electrical issues.

First job was to fit the battery correctly and replace all of the trim pieces which were lying in the boot.

The battery is brand new but there was evidence of a previous leak and residue all around the terminals and over some of the wiring. I've managed to clean this all up and it looks much better.

Then began working my way through the error messages on the dash...

1. SRS Restraint system defective - drive to workshop
IMG_1712_zps4uxel222.jpg

2. ESP defective - Visit workshop
IMG_1713_zpskdax2foc.jpg

3. Run Flat indicator unavailable
IMG_1711_zps71yof1l7.jpg

4. Active light system inoperative
IMG_1714_zpscq4ufbws.jpg

I can't access any of the menus as the steering wheel switches don't work and neither does the horn?

I've checked fuse 13 on the side of the glove box which is good but don't think the switches are getting power as they don't illuminate when you turn on the headlights?

Any suggestions here??

I've checked every fuse in the car (engine bay, side of the glove box, right hand boot compartment) and nothing has blown?

However, I have found three electrical connectors that are not connected to anything?

a) This one is in the offside front wheel arch and I can't see anything to connect it to?
FR%20Wheel3_zpspswz0gov.jpg

FR%20Wheel2_zpsofco1gct.jpg

FR%20Wheel_zpsndii1apa.jpg

b) This one was taped up to the side of the radiator hose and close to the wiring for the front offside headlight.
FR%20Engine%20Bay_zpskwt2cw13.jpg

FR%20Engine%20Bay%202_zpsnrq6jqgv.jpg

c) And then this white connector is taped up to other wiring near the nearside front wing.
IMG_1709_zpsgfrgrkjo.jpg

IMG_1710_zpsgfl6afsm.jpg

Can anyone help identify what any of these are for?

I'm hoping some of the error messages can be reset by a visit to someone with STAR diagnostics and may be from older problems that have since been fixed.

Otherwise the plan is to tackle as many of the jobs myself as can't justify spending £180 hr + VAT on main dealer servicing on a 12 year old car!

Cheers

Andy

Been on some other forums and it seems the connectors in the steering module switches can work loose and require soldering.

Others report changing the clock spring solved power issues and ESP / SRS faults.

Anyone here experienced this?

Any ideas what the three loose connectors are for??

Make sure the battery is fully charged (24hrs min at 6 amp). I say this as I don't know if you used the booster to start it without fully charging it afterwards.
A battery that is either failing or has low charge can cause all sorts of electrical malfunctions.

Car is booked in to have a STAR diagnostic session to establish the faults that need addressing.

The second loose electrical connector appears that it might connect to a washer pump. I've found one lying around in the boot that is exactly like this....

375314_3.jpeg

Part number A164 860 0021.

Didn't think there was a washer pump situated in the offside front bumper? Thought they were attached to the washer reservoir inside the front nearside wheel arch??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom