2006 SL500 - This just fell off my car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dmo

Car
SL500
Hi All! Hope you're well. This weekend I took delivery of a 2006 (5.0L) SL500, 25k miles on the clock. Looks great on the surface. Haven't had a chance to drive it around yet and I've been getting to know the car a bit more.

I found a piece of tough plastic besides the rear tyre this evening - no idea where it's come from, however I'd *guess* it's come from the convertible hood, as nothing else has been moved/touched on the car besides the hood in the last day.

Can anyone help me identify what this component is / where it's come from / what it does? Appreciate the help!

Mystery object:
img20120415233902.jpg

img20120415233907.jpg

...so we've just purchased a 20k food processor.. boo! :wallbash:

Light8008; you had/seen this problem before?

I have had my R230 for 8.5yrs..............no idea.

Mic

You need a picture such at the parts department of the rood mech?

If its from your car it looks big enough / strong enough to actually be important?

One of the exploded diagrams should help, someone on here may have access to them.

Does it have any markings or part numbers on it which you can Google?

My bet is it's off something else.

Pop it in the safe place. The one with all the other stuff which has come-off something but you're not sure what. Third kitchen drawer down ought to do it. Not the top one, that's for cutlery. Not the second one, that's for tea towels. That's it, right at home in the third one, with the takeaway menus, place mats that you don't use any more, and the sewing kit.

For Chr***sake don't throw it away whatever you do! Something related to the hood mechanism would be my guess also-- if its off the car at all.?

It does not look like it has broken off, thus if it is a complete part in itself, then it will have a part number.

Find that, google it and your part description will be revealed.

Thanks for all your feedback guys - really value it. I checked out the website with the diagrams, looked at loads of them for the roof / hood mech / boot, etc. Can't find anything to match it, so it may well be from something else.

I'll hang onto it and put it in the 4th drawer with the other random bits of plastic I collect in my spare time :).

There was no part number or markings on it - although it did occur to me that is could be a third party replacement part to something that fell off; still - I couldn't find anything to match the dimensions on the above site.

How well do you get on with your neighbours? When younger I was always playing tricks/jokes on friends and neighbours who owned cars, a nut or a plug on the floor near the front of the vehicle, coloured water, oil, a ballbearing in the hub cap.....Could it have been planted to cause consternation? as indeed it has. Especially as the car is your new pride and joy.

How well do you get on with your neighbours? When younger I was always playing tricks/jokes on friends and neighbours who owned cars, a nut or a plug on the floor near the front of the vehicle, coloured water, oil, a ballbearing in the hub cap.....Could it have been planted to cause consternation? as indeed it has. Especially as the car is your new pride and joy.
You reminded me of the Gangle Pin!

UK Candid Camera Classics - Gangle Pin - YouTube

Ah, the mean streets of East Ayrshire :D

Ah, the mean streets of East Ayrshire :D

Ayrshire cannot be blamed for my errant ways. I was born and bred in the orange groves of Oldham, or as I would say it Owdum. I left Oldham when I took the Queens Shilling.
As much as I loved the town of my birth, when I returned, the town and the people in it bore little resemblance to the place I was brought up.
Ayrshire, and Scotland as a whole suits me better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom