2006 W203 320CDi Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wu56Shoozz

MB Enthusiast
You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
Car
MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
I've labelled the above specific to mine but as far as I know this issue affects other models in the range too..

My vehicle went in for service the other week and I was advised that the Brakes were low and that the front discs in particular were bad. So I went to order a set from the dealers down the road and.. straight away, my car has the sports pack on it, meaning that I have cross drilled discs. It was an option it would appear when the car was "built" by the first owner. I should have 330mm vented discs only. So I set about a quest to get cross drilled discs for the car as I like the extra stopping power it provides, with it being an auto and here's where the fun begins..

Set 1/ MTEC Cross Drilled - two near side discs supplied i.e pattern of cross drill is the same.. though it was a mistake, promptly sent back, only for the same set to return...

Set 2/ EBC - and the same again, two near sided discs same pattern supplied..and returned..

Set 3/ Pagid - and the same again.. two near sided discs supplied etc..

Set 4/ Brembo - now a mate of mine is an applications engineer in here so we had a chat and...

Did you know that there isn't an after market cross drilled front Off Side disc available at all Yup! No one makes an Off Side Cross Drilled disc with the pattern the correct way for the car? We spent ages researching this and cross checking with the manufacturers and its true, when ordering cross drilled discs for the front there isn't such a beast and that's why all the above supply two of the same nearside discs..

Just thought you all should know, and before you flame me go and look at your car.. you'll see the same. (Or provide photos)

:thumb:

Last edited:
If MB supplied them originally and they were both 'nearside patterns' wouldn't that mean that is then correct and as they were designed? The Sports Pack was a common option on many 203 models.
The cross-drilling does nothing to improve stopping power, certainly for road use. The only benefit might come from reduced fade on repeated heavy stops.
Have you got a price from MB? You may be surprised, they are generally very competitive on such service items

I'd agree with you yes, but don't you think it odd that the drill pattern on the Offside faces backward rather than forward like the nearside disc?

I also agree that MB pricing should be good however the parts dept wouldn't supply cross drilled discs citing that the car should have vented only.. like you say it was an option that was selected by the previous owner (along with a few others I'm finding :doh:)

Mines a sport and mine are both the same. Can't remember if the vanes are also the same or straight but I'd assume the same. Won't make much difference anyway as it's not a race car just heavy.

The fact that no one manufactures such a disc is surely telling you something?

I'd agree with you yes, but don't you think it odd that the drill pattern on the Offside faces backward rather than forward like the nearside disc?

I also agree that MB pricing should be good however the parts dept wouldn't supply cross drilled discs citing that the car should have vented only.. like you say it was an option that was selected by the previous owner (along with a few others I'm finding :doh:)

Well obviously the discs are ventilated as well as cross drilled. Did you provide the VIN when enquiring? Could it be the brakes have been 'upgraded' since delivery?

^ Why do you assume that I don't know what I'm doing? :dk: Of course the Vin Number was given... It was requested at the time of enquiry.. as usual, I've bought a car that has so many changes.. we discovered that it was supposed to have a command unit fitted with sat nav.. that Mercedes removed at time of purchase for some unknown reason..we had some one research that too...

That it makes no difference. It just seems like it would.

We knew, it was asked recently by bennyboy.

^ Why do you assume that I don't know what I'm doing? :dk: Of course the Vin Number was given... It was requested at the time of enquiry.. as usual, I've bought a car that has so many changes.. we discovered that it was supposed to have a command unit fitted with sat nav.. that Mercedes removed at time of purchase for some unknown reason..we had some one research that too...

Why do you assume I'm assuming you don't know what you're doing? It was a logical question to ask. The parts dept's refusal to supply cross drilled (and ventilated) discs suggested to me the car wasn't delivered with Sports Pack brakes but they were added later, without updating the datacard.

When you say you bought a car with so many changes, changes from what? Has this car been owned by an enthusiast, doing retrofits?

Regarding the removed COMAND, what did Mercedes replace it with?

Mines got big discs and the holes block up anyway so no worries there!

Mines got big discs and the holes block up anyway so no worries there!

The WIS service sheet for cars fitted with drilled discs states the holes should be cleared with an appropriately sized drill bit at each service. Well it did on my 203

And no, it was never done.....

Yes seriously. If you read the thread it says that the car had an upgrade to a "Sports Pack" by the previous owner, me being the third owner, how would I know if it did or didn't come with two of the same side of disc or that manufacturers or after market don't do a front offside disc? I hear what it is your trying to say that it shouldn't have cross drilled, but again if the previous owner has specified sports pack.. what am I to do?

Last edited:
Why do you assume I'm assuming you don't know what you're doing? It was a logical question to ask. The parts dept's refusal to supply cross drilled (and ventilated) discs suggested to me the car wasn't delivered with Sports Pack brakes but they were added later, without updating the datacard.

When you say you bought a car with so many changes, changes from what? Has this car been owned by an enthusiast, doing retrofits?

Regarding the removed COMAND, what did Mercedes replace it with?

It wasn't really - it was more a of a laymans question "did I give out the Vin Number?" nowadays you don't get very far without it, namely cos' the reg number doesn't trigger the parts software, or that its had a private plate and that doesn't work either, so it was a bit of a blonde question...

With regards the sports pack, you're probably correct, It has been added at the time of "build/purchase" i.e If I'm buying this then I want this or that extra..

The car shouldn't have a Harman Kardan system in it and yet it does... then the Command unit was removed at the time of purchase and down graded to an Audio 20.. don't know why, we had someone in MB check it out and it was confirmed as a replacement at an MB dealer before purchase... on top of which the dealer that removed it made a right mess and "glued" some of the screws back in place as they had broken the plastic on certain areas.. again confirmed by the installer who says that its a common occurrence during the removal and install of MB stereos...

And then there was the alloys... jeez, that was a nightmare.. wrong wheel bolts and all sorts...

Last edited:
Sorry but I think you are being well misled by someone

If the sports pack had been added at the time of "build/purchase" i.e. factory fitted option, it would surely have been listed on the datacard and when the parts dept searched EPC with the VIN they would have seen the option variant.

Regards HK, I wasn't aware one could have it without COMAND. The 'installer' is mistaken with regards to the breakage of plastic parts being common. If the dealer had broken a part he would simply have replaced it.

I find it fascinating as to why a dealer would 'downgrade' a new car by removing the COMAND, a usually highly regarded option.

Yes, you can have an HK system ask me how I know Lols! (sounds fantastic by the way :) ) but you need an Audio 20 with optic fibre connection to operate it.. I'm having to have the sound system rewired in order to put an Alpine Touch Screen system into it.. it was such a ballache as I kept crossing "Yours doesn't have this.." and it did OR "Its supposed to have that .."and it didn't.. its a bit of a Heath Robinson affair I'm afraid..

Yes seriously. If you read the thread it says that the car had an upgrade to a "Sports Pack" by the previous owner, me being the third owner, how would I know if it did or didn't come with two of the same side of disc or that manufacturers or after market don't do a front offside disc? I hear what it is your trying to say that it shouldn't have cross drilled, but again if the previous owner has specified sports pack.. what am I to do?

You tried 4 different manufacturers and the fact that 4 major brake disc suppliers did not supply left and right handed discs did not make you think that this must be normal?,

As for reading the thread, I have, that is why I an d others can respond.

Also, cross drilling does not improve braking, look at an F1 car and the disc brakes are not drilled.

Cross drilling makes them lighter, reduces un-sprung weight (slightly) and helps any gas produced from pads under hard use dissipate. It is the larger diameter disc that gives you greater braking force due to simple maths, the force applied at the caliper is at a greater distance (diameter) from the centre although of course braking force is ultimately limited by the level of friction the tyre can generate on the tarmac.

Last edited:
I wasn't the only one that "Didn't think it was normal.." the garage that was fitting them thought the same and questioned the fitment of them

Now as to improved braking Really??

So Kawasaki / Porsche/ BMW/Bugatti/Masarati etc all have this wrong have they, right down to the simplest of mountain bike has them, why is that exactly?

http://www.sp-performance.com/advantages_drilled_slotted.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom