2007 C55 Estate, laundry list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
79,000 miles on the clock, note from the garage with a provisional invoice of £2,300. They’ve changed the rear brakes when I asked them not too, which is mildly annoying.

In changing the rear brakes they have identified a possible requirement for new backing plates, as the current ones are corroded and may not retain the spring that holds the parking brake shoes in place correctly. £825 for new backing plates.

They’re going to road test the car to establish if the parking brake shoes will stay in place with the current backing plates.

In changing the rear brakes they have identified a possible requirement for new backing plates, as the current ones are corroded and may not retain the spring that holds the parking brake shoes in place correctly. £825 for new backing plates.

They’re going to road test the car to establish if the parking brake shoes will stay in place with the current backing plates.

How do they justify £800 to replace 2x £40 parts. If you are replacing the discs I can’t see it adding too much extra labour.
This is a job I’d have no hesitation in doing myself.

It is a lovely looking C55 btw

3.5 hours labour per side I suspect makes up a large part of that, including pressing wheel bearings on an off (I assume new wheel bearings on).

^ Sorry, but you are having your pants pulled down by this garage.
What the hell are their labour charges? Almost main dealer rates it seems.
Crazy prices being asked and charged for straightforward jobs.

Don't have anything else done there. Get Olly at PCS to do it. It will be worth the trip.

Yeah, that's my plan. I am aware that I have to finish off catching up on maintenance, but when I have done - where would I be best advised to go for a mild map that would see a little more power? I hear talk of 400bhp/400ft being quite easy to achieve without impacting driveability.

Yeah, that's my plan. I am aware that I have to finish off catching up on maintenance, but when I have done - where would I be best advised to go for a mild map that would see a little more power? I hear talk of 400bhp/400ft being quite easy to achieve without impacting driveability.
Eurocharged tune from MSL in Birmingham springs to mind straight away:
55 series NA Performance Engine Software

I'm not often up in that neck of the woods, is there anywhere in the South would you know?

Whilst there’s possibly some small gains to be made somewhere I can’t really see a genuine 400bhp from a remap alone on the NA M113 5.4. If it’s making optimal air:fuel ratio and adjusting the timing itself what is restricting the engine on the current map?

I’d look at getting the car running A1 then perhaps some exhaust work (cats?) and spend the extra on tyres and super unleaded.

As said already, if they’re doing work that you asked them not to then challenge them - that’s not your fault. They seem expensive with their quotes to me also. I’d suggest they refit your original brakes as you told them not to touch them and at worst to keep the peace pay for the parts but compromise on the labour cost - their mistake, not yours.

I'm not often up in that neck of the woods, is there anywhere in the South would you know?

There is a branch in Essex:banana:

Prestige & MSL Performance
7 Coppen Road,
Dagenham,
Essex,
RM8 1HJ
020 8592 8849

3.5 hours labour per side I suspect makes up a large part of that, including pressing wheel bearings on an off (I assume new wheel bearings on).
Don't 'assume' anything with the current garage you are using. They either replaced the rear wheel bearings or put the old ones back on, which was it ? Although I must say if I were to replace my backing plates I would probably do the bearings while i was at it.

Re map seems a bit of a waste of money at this stage , get all the necessary work done first and as others have said here M113 N/A engine has little to gain from a re map, and 400bhp ?....mmmmm. o_O

I had my C55 remapped by DMS which took in up to around 385bhp and removed limiter and sharpened up gear changes. Did make a noticeable difference. When I had had to replace my front discs and pads and ball joint. I bought the parts from Mercedes with a discount for under £150. Changed them myself but even if garage did it got to be cheaper than prices your getting charged.

Send the calipers to Bigg Red for refurbing...about £50 each...unless you want a nice colour too.

I have had a perceptive 'user name' hunch here...

Dammit spends much more than C55 money on custom built bicycles, but is also a petrol head.
Quite a rare combination.
Am I rite?:)

Paid for the work earlier, my friend is picking the car up tomorrow for his holiday. RMS, door check straps and brake bleed nipples out-standing. I’ll likely take care of the wheel arches first (some surface rust).

I’ll get this car to perfect, and I’ll stick with OEM having thought about it. One project car is enough!

Would anyone know whether SL55 wheels would fit my C55? Not that I wish to change to them, but I'd like to get my wheels refurbished, and the chap at Exel wheels has a set of SL55 wheels he could use as loaners.

You really want C or CLK/SLK type wheels, I’m fairly sure the SL wheels will be incorrect sizes/offset and the tyres will be far too big?

If you don’t need to drive the car then they would probably bolt up okay but I expect they’ll foul the arches etc.

You could message forum member ‘Bobby Dazzler’ (Rob) as I’m sure he was selling a set of W203 AMG wheels recently :thumb:

Otherwise - axle stands? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom