2007 Comand - How to divert part of route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevebower

I suspect the answer is No, but is there a way to divert part of the route, other than 'for the next x miles' (which I've not really worked out, either)?

I had a traffic queue on motorway the other day, and needed to avoid a particular junction, or even the motorway altogether, but this was not for 50 miles, so was quite ok on the route for a while. TomTom lets you avoid a particular section in advance, or even motorways altogether, but I can't see this in Comand.

Anyone know how?

Cheers, Steve

What car is this in (in 2007 there is NTG1, NTG2 and NTG3 systems in different series cars). Saying that I don't know the answer for any yet..

Richard

If you set dynamic route guidance and TMC knows about the problem, it'll route you around it automatically. ...in theory. I've only had mine a week and haven't actually experienced it yet.

If you set dynamic route guidance and TMC knows about the problem, it'll route you around it automatically. ...in theory. I've only had mine a week and haven't actually experienced it yet.

It does work, but only up to a point, as there isn't always a practical route around a problem area, especially when when it comes to motorways, in which case COMAND will still drive you through the congested patch.

Also, TMC is not very accurate, and in some cases it will not be aware of problems, or it might not be quick enough to recognise when a jam has cleared.

However, in general, it does work well in most cases.

Its a CLS, no I don't quite know which particular system. Is there an 'About' screen?
The problem seemed to be with the TMC latency - radio report were advising a 1hr+ delay, but there was no congestion shown on the route. I really wanted to just bail the M25 (yes, you guessed it!) and drop south from M40 through Reading. I suppose in hindsight I could have used a 'Via'

I suppose in hindsight I could have used a 'Via'
That's what I would probably do.

The later COMAND systems (in my wife's R171 and my W212) offer a choice of routes - quickest, shortest, economy, etc - and the dynamic option which relies on TMC info. What I've found on those is that the routing algorithm leaves creating a diversion around a congested motorway to the last possible moment, probably in anticipation that if you're 30 minutes away from it now then it may well clear by the time you get there.

As an aside, I have two Garmin units, one a StreetPilot 2720 that's about 5 years old and the other a Zumo that's a current model. The former has a much richer feature set when it comes to routing choices, including the ability to select avoidances by road within the current route, while the latter doesn't. Garmin have publicly said that they've "simplified" the choices the user has (read: dumbed it down) because their research shows that most people can't work out how to use many of the features. That's progress, I suppose, as we continue our path to the bottom :rolleyes:

Yes. Much like adding the 'make a noise' feature to near-silent electric cars as is being considered. Never mind asking the muppet pedestrians to take their ipods out and look where they're going. Perhaps they'll do that to Rolls too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom