2007 E280 CDI Sport estate (Auto) - can't move from Drive to Reverse without switching off engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Otleygas

Car
Mercedes C220 CDi
Hi. I wonder if anyone can help

I have a 2007 E280 CDI Sport estate (Auto). The car starts and drives fine. The problem I have is that after driving I cannot move the auto gear stick from Drive into Reverse or Park, without first switching off the engine. If I turn the engine off and restart it, it then lets me move into reverse or neutral.

I took it to my local garage today who think it might be a problem with the gear selector control module (part number A2112674224). They found 2 error codes:

P1856 - shift lever position detection failed
and
C404: No can message received from control module

they phoned MB to check and MB advised that the unit has to be replaced by a MB dealer as a new one (apparently about £450 from MB) needs to be specially programmed to work with the car.

Before I spend money on what could be an expensive (£1k?) fix from an MB dealer:

is a faulty module the most likely cause of the fault and replacing it likely to solve it?
is it right that a new module has to be 'programmed in'? - could I just get a second hand unit from and get my local garage to swap it in?

Many thanks

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help

I have a 2007 E280 CDI Sport estate (Auto). The car starts and drives fine. The problem I have is that after driving I cannot move the auto gear stick from Drive into Reverse or Park, without first switching off the engine. If I turn the engine off and restart it, it then lets me move into reverse or neutral.

I took it to my local garage today who think it might be a problem with the gear selector control module (part number A2112674224). They found 2 error codes:

P1856 - shift lever position detection failed
and
C404: No can message received from control module

they phoned MB to check and MB advised that the unit has to be replaced by a MB dealer as a new one (apparently about £450 from MB) needs to be specially programmed to work with the car.

Before I spend money on what could be an expensive (£1k?) fix from an MB dealer:

is a faulty module the most likely cause of the fault and replacing it likely to solve it?
is it right that a new module has to be 'programmed in'? - could I just get a second hand unit from and get my local garage to swap it in?

Many thanks

anyone please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom