2007 Mercedes E320 CDI Sport Poor Start every morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alexandru

Car
Current 2007 Mercedes E320 cdi sport auto, Previous 2007 Mercedes CLK320 cdi Sport auto
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, sorry if I highlight the same issues here, but still cannot find the info I'm looking for.

2007 E320 CDI with 140000 miles on the clock
Wouldn't start in the morning (temperature outside 8+ C so not cold at all). If I keep the ignition on for 2 minutes, then it starts straight away. Does this sound like a lazy fuel pump or air in the fuel pipes? This only happens when the car was parked for a night or so.
As soon as it starts first time (after waiting 2mins with the ignition on) , if I turn the engine off right away(without letting it warm up) I will turn the key back on and it will start straight away, easy, like it doesn't have any issues.

Had it scanned yesterday:
2195 o2 Sensor
2270 Glow Plug
2138 Glow Plug 6
2137 Glow Plug 5
Nothing showing on the fuel system

Would a Star Mercedes diagnostic unit narrow down and point directly to the problem? as the one we used wasn't Star

Despite that I have 2 x glow plugs faulty, I remember my 2007 CLK 320 cdi had the same plugs faulty but started first time every time, so I am thinking of a fault with the fuel system and not the plugs. I will change the glow plugs anyway, but just need your advise guys as I can see that some members have a very wide knowledge here.

Thanks in advance

Read Lots of useful information here already, BIG THANK YOU for that!!!

Answer #1 = It's scrapper and get shot of it.
Answer #2 = It could be the glow plug control module that's gone bad.

Only just bought it lol :) ,the only one I could afford at the moment as needed a 4 door. My 2007 CLK320 CDI Sport (167000 miles on the clock) was trouble free for the last 4 and half years, this is why I got another 320cdi but with 4 doors.
I will change the glow plugs this weekend and try to do a fuel pressure test on it, will look in to the control module as well

Thank You!

UPDATE:

Glow plug control module replaced and the cars starts first time now

Thanks a lot for your help

Hope this will be useful for someone else.

UPDATE:

Excellent news

UPDATE:

Did you get any glow plug lights on the dash? My CLS 320 does this but I get a plug light for 2 mins then it goes off. All my plugs are fine the final part to swap is the module!
£120 good ones..

Sounds more like an injector is faulty to me. Cold weather will always show up injector problems, you need to have a leak off test done to see that they're all at the same spec.

Did you get any glow plug lights on the dash? My CLS 320 does this but I get a plug light for 2 mins then it goes off. All my plugs are fine the final part to swap is the module!
£120 good ones..
More likely to be a faulty glow plug even though you state these are fine. Usually when the relay goes you get difficult starting and lots of white smoke when it does start, also no dash warning unless a plug is out as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom