2007 R230 SL500 tyres on 19" wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swithin

Car
99 SL500, 2014 C250 AMG Sport +, 2016 C220d, Range Rover 4.2sc, Mini Cooper S
Hi all, hope your keeping safe. I've looked on the site and can't find the answer to the question of tyre make choice for a non AMG R230 SL500. I have Bridgestone Potenza's on the car at the moment - 255/35 R19 at the front and 285/30 R19 at the back and I only bought the car in April last year but new tyres are needed as all four are cracked. I will only drive the car from Late March until end September so summer tyres are going on. I also have a R129 SL500 and once tried Falkens which were destroyed at the rear in 6,000 miles and despite them being very grippy i'm not looking at them in the more powerful R230. I've just bought new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5's for the front as the wet braking is the best on the grading scale so my question is for the rears. I want relative longevity in the tyre. As i've only driven the car 4,000 miles and have never used Bridgestone Potenza's before or Goodyear eagles i'd like to hear from others who have, and can give advice on their longevity at the back.

I've got Continentals on the R129 which i've owned for for 11 years (car not tyres) and they work perfectly well on that model.

Looking forward to all opinions/thoughts on these and any other good makes.

I have a single continental for sale, only done 400 miles on it. Sorry it's not a pair.....

You are going to get loads of different brands recommended and all down to personal choice.
FWIW, I'd look at GY Asymmetric 5's, to make a matching set with the fronts.

I have a single continental for sale, only done 400 miles on it. Sorry it's not a pair.....
Thanks for the offer but I need a pair and am leaning towards Bridgestone or Goodyear.

You are going to get loads of different brands recommended and all down to personal choice.
FWIW, I'd look at GY Asymmetric 5's, to make a matching set with the fronts.
The Bridgestone and Goodyear are favourite at the mo. What I really want to know is which one lasts longest on a drive wheel. When we're out in the car the majority of our travelling is on motorways. With the Falkens, I once put on the other SL, I was shocked at the huge time difference between having to change the rears compared to the fronts. With the Conti's I get a far better timeline.

I think my mind is made up, Just read a thread on here where a guy has had 4 new goodyears on for a year and 10000 miles on his SL400 and with not being an all out road-racer or miss daisy's driver only lost 2mm at the back.

I did swap to goodyear assy 5's from continental but haven't really driven enough to pass comment

I did swap to goodyear assy 5's from continental but haven't really driven enough to pass comment
The conti’s on my R129 give a firm ride which I don’t need on the R230 as it has abc, the bridge stones look like they’ve been on the car for years and annoyingly have loads of tread left but are all cracked. They give a good ride but the noise on concrete motorways is unbearable, hoping the Goodyear’s improve on the noise.

Hi all, hope your keeping safe. I've looked on the site and can't find the answer to the question of tyre make choice for a non AMG R230 SL500. I have Bridgestone Potenza's on the car at the moment - 255/35 R19 at the front and 285/30 R19 at the back and I only bought the car in April last year but new tyres are needed as all four are cracked. I will only drive the car from Late March until end September so summer tyres are going on. I also have a R129 SL500 and once tried Falkens which were destroyed at the rear in 6,000 miles and despite them being very grippy i'm not looking at them in the more powerful R230. I've just bought new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5's for the front as the wet braking is the best on the grading scale so my question is for the rears. I want relative longevity in the tyre. As i've only driven the car 4,000 miles and have never used Bridgestone Potenza's before or Goodyear eagles i'd like to hear from others who have, and can give advice on their longevity at the back.

I've got Continentals on the R129 which i've owned for for 11 years (car not tyres) and they work perfectly well on that model.

Looking forward to all opinions/thoughts on these and any other good makes.
Hi Intrigued as I had 4 new Conti's put on in 2018 and car (SL 350 with 19 AMG's like your setup) has covered less than 4k since. Yesterday on one rear found cracking on the sidewall. As a matter of interest, what did you end up choosing?

Hi Intrigued as I had 4 new Conti's put on in 2018 and car (SL 350 with 19 AMG's like your setup) has covered less than 4k since. Yesterday on one rear found cracking on the sidewall. As a matter of interest, what did you end up choosing?
Hi , down to the tyre shop to see if my 5p Cont 2018 tyres have cracked.

I went for Goodyear asymmetric 5 front and back. Was expecting a lot from them after the reviews but with hard cornering they seem a bit soft at the back, totally different to the Bridgestones they replaced. Doubt I’ll get them again. The car used to corner like it was on rails but found myself checking the tyres and tyre pressures because of the jelly type feeling.

I have Goodyears on my R230. (18s) very quiet, very comfortable and have done about 15k so far. They, or Dunlop MaxxRT are my tyres of choice due to low noise/comfort which is my priority in a cruiser like the SL

I went for Goodyear asymmetric 5 front and back. Was expecting a lot from them after the reviews but with hard cornering they seem a bit soft at the back, totally different to the Bridgestones they replaced. Doubt I’ll get them again. The car used to corner like it was on rails but found myself checking the tyres and tyre pressures because of the jelly type feeling.
I liked the Goodyear Efficient as i found they were good in the wet and dry, also good on the decibels

I believe the Good years i have are run flats. Supposedly a real pain to put on according to some fitters. The Bridgestones that were previously on them were also run flat. I've always gone with putting the same type of tyre as the manufacturer of the car put on when new.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but do you lads use run flats or dispense with them?
I have a SL400 R231 with 19" wheels.
Ditch the run flats buddy , they will have a harder sidewall and therefore a harder ride . Might also make the car more prone to tramlining in the road grooves caused by lorries .
Oh yeah and they are expensive

Ditch the run flats buddy , they will have a harder sidewall and therefore a harder ride . Might also make the car more prone to tramlining in the road grooves caused by lorries .
Oh yeah and they are expensive
This was my thought I was just hoping someone in the know would confirm it. :)

Cheers

yep ditch the run flats and put on Goodyear AS5 or Dunlop MaxxRT both are quiet and comfortable with no decernable loss of grip. Suit the nature of the car really well particuarly on 19s which will tend to make the ride a little harsher probably.

yep ditch the run flats and put on Goodyear AS5 or Dunlop MaxxRT both are quiet and comfortable with no decernable loss of grip. Suit the nature of the car really well particuarly on 19s which will tend to make the ride a little harsher probably.
Actually it has 19" on and I found the ride pretty good its on Pirelli currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom