2007 SL350 High Mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The car I’m going to see on Monday sounds and looks pretty good going from the full service history. All MBZ main dealer and then the same Indy MBZ garage. 81k on the clock and 2 owners previous.

ATF was done at 40k but not since, and it seems to suggest it’s never had a spark plug change as the box has never been ticked on any of the records. Is that just done with a B service as standard?
I had read that they don’t need changing until 140k so that would explain it, assuming that info is correct.

Is there anywhere I can see what the service schedule is on a 2007 SL350?
I think spark plugs are 4 years or 60k miles.

Going to see another on Monday which sounds promising. Taking my neighbour who volunteered to come along and help me so I don’t end up with a lemon. He’s a top engineer at JLR SVO… I watch YouTube videos.
Make sure you check the following....

1. Check the boot seal at the bottom of rear window as it tends to leak but there is a cheap fix for this. If the boot carpet is damp then I suspect the seal leaks.
2. Check all the water drains are clear, 1 in the front at the base of the airbox (which is under the passenger side bonnet vent), 1 each at base of c pillars, 1 either side of the a pillars at the top and 1 each at the ends of the boot seal. Pull back the passenger carpet and make sure it is dry underneath, a wet or damp carpet indicates a blocked or previously blocked airbox drain.
3. Make sure the PSE pump in the boot is dry, its under the boot floor panel on the nearside under a big sponge. If the sponge is dry then the pump should be dry.
4. The rear wheel arches can rust, the inner arch lining allows crud to collect.
5. Check the age of the consumer battery, this is the one in the boot. This battery runs all the electrics and has a hard life. The battery under the bonnet is only for starting the car.
6. Does the gearbox go from Park into Drive smoothly, these cars have a plastic linkage which can crack and break which results in being stuck in Park.
7. Listen for any metallic noise coming from the fuel tank, there is a baffle in the tank that can break free and cause an annoying rattle when the fuel level gets low.

I will happily say im a proud owner of a 2007 sl 350 currently at 175k miles (owned from 23k miles 10 years ago) I drive the car daily as its my only car and the vehicle doesn't have abc but i can say the timing chain and balancer shaft got changed at 130k miles, never had an issue of roof leaking other than a pipe replaced on the roof. the car is still riding on factory rear shocks (front have been replaced fully) never had a pse pump replaced as yet although had the sbc replaced around 110k by merc. its had a valve body and conductor plate for the gearbox. Apart from the concerns the other owners in the forum note i feel at any mileage above 130 the engine should've had some extensive work to manifolds and maybe a chain change, i suppose with these vehicles generally most repairs are normally about £1k which can be tiring but rewarding because the sl just knows how to make up for it when your back in the seat again with a working car. but saying that some things may also be to age to replaced as well as mileage but a car with alot of miles should have alot of receipts at least with a few big bills to help take the sting out of it for your ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom