2007 SL350 High Mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The car I’m going to see on Monday sounds and looks pretty good going from the full service history. All MBZ main dealer and then the same Indy MBZ garage. 81k on the clock and 2 owners previous.

ATF was done at 40k but not since, and it seems to suggest it’s never had a spark plug change as the box has never been ticked on any of the records. Is that just done with a B service as standard?
I had read that they don’t need changing until 140k so that would explain it, assuming that info is correct.

Is there anywhere I can see what the service schedule is on a 2007 SL350?

I believe that on SBC cars, the small battery in the engine compartment is there purely to ensure braking in the event of a total electrical failure, but I've also read that on non-SBC cars its sole purpose is to provide extra oomph to start the engine when the main consumer battery - the large one in the boot - is low on charge. If that car has SBC, and my belief is correct, then the ad is correct.

Iridium or platinum plugs should usually be changed about every five years or 50K miles, but I've never heard of any not needing replacement until 140k miles. If the spark plugs have never been changed, care will be needed in getting them out...

That said, though, with only two owners and a good service history, I'd be surprised if they haven't been changed at least once.

Last edited:
on my service book that came with my SL55 the little boxes were occasionally forgotten for small things.. but I got all the original reciepts for all the servicing and repairs for most of its life and saw various service bits that were not ticked in the book had actually been done as per shedule..so check all the paperwork.. thats with the car. It may not have missed services, just ticks in boxes. No paperwork leaves a question mark.
I believe all R230/231 SL's have two batteries.. the SBC braking system has capacitors which enable it to work for a short period if all power is lost. The front battery is mainly for starting the engine and the rear one for everything else.. however both batteries are connected to a battery management module in the boot that can allocate power to other systems, I found this when I disconnected the rear battery and the boot lamp stayed on.

Last edited:
I believe all R230/231 SL's have two batteries.. the SBC braking system has capacitors which enable it to work for a short period if all power is lost. The front battery is mainly for starting the engine and the rear one for everything else.. however both batteries are connected to a battery management module in the boot that can allocate power to other systems, I found this when I disconnected the rear battery and the boot lamp stayed on.

I could only find one battery in my R231 SL63 John, coming from an R230, I spent ages looking for the small starter battery in the engine bay, but could only find one big enormous 92 Ah battery in the boot. Also, I do not believe there is any SBC on the R231, there is a good old fashioned brake servo instead. I was pleased to see that. So I guess that is why they do not need the small battery in the engine compartment ? So far after one month of ownership, I have not seen the "electric consumers offline" message once, which is nice after 10 years of 230 ownership.

If a box hasn't been ticked, it's reasonable to assume things such as plugs haven't been done, unless there's an itemised bill. The customer can ask for things to be skipped. Second or third owners do this because the car wasn't so valuable to them, but first owners of low mileage garage queens can be just as parsimonious.

In the end you just have to make a decision based on what cars are available to you, but bear in mind that these cars don't sell easily so you can be fussy. I look for a 2007 SL500 on this kind of mileage occasionally, and they all take many months to sell. Great cars, well built and usually barely used, but buyers are short in supply because people think they're more expensive to run than SLKs or BMW convertibles

I could only find one battery in my R231 SL63 John, coming from an R230, I spent ages looking for the small starter battery in the engine bay, but could only find one big enormous 92 Ah battery in the boot.
It's behind you !

Behind the seats. You'll need a torx to get it out. But can't imagine why you'd want to at this age.

This photo isn't mine but shows the position.

57CD0E3D-492C-49D9-84B5-8A46232E1084.jpeg

I could only find one battery in my R231 SL63 John, coming from an R230, I spent ages looking for the small starter battery in the engine bay, but could only find one big enormous 92 Ah battery in the boot. Also, I do not believe there is any SBC on the R231, there is a good old fashioned brake servo instead. I was pleased to see that. So I guess that is why they do not need the small battery in the engine compartment ? So far after one month of ownership, I have not seen the "electric consumers offline" message once, which is nice after 10 years of 230 ownership.
I stand corrected on the 231😇... I'm only 11 months into ownership of my SL55 so am learning all the time :)

IT's all too easy for an owner to tick the little boxes in the service record, whether or not the plugs/brake fluid etc have been changed or not. I would want to see an invoice, or just buy on condition, and accept corners will have been cut as the value of the car decreases.

IT's all too easy for an owner to tick the little boxes in the service record, whether or not the plugs/brake fluid etc have been changed or not. I would want to see an invoice, or just buy on condition, and accept corners will have been cut as the value of the car decreases.
agree 100 % I think that's why Mercedes went to the digital service format... that and to keep servicing " in house"

Seriously ? There's a battery behind the drivers seat in the 231 ? I'll have a look. I'm always keen to learn new stuff.
What I don't know is how easy it is to attach a CTEK to the Aux.

Theoretically it should be easy but I think I've heard people say it was a problem. MB have deliberately made access difficult

Always try to condition a battery rather than just replace. For Greta's sake.

You'll find more "stuff" about it all if you google R231 Auxillary (or Aux) battery.

The R231 is far better than the R230 on battery maintenance.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Great cars, well built and usually barely used, but buyers are short in supply because people think they're more expensive to run than SLKs or BMW convertibles
I can't speak for the BMWs, but so far as the R171 is concerned, they are.

Theoretically it should be easy but I think I've heard people say it was a problem. MB have deliberately made access difficult

You'll find more "stuff" about it all if you google R231 Auxillary (or Aux) battery.

wow that was a huge faf to get the Aux battery out for the guy in the Vid... interesting to see it needed changing so soon on such a new Merc...

The car I’m going to see on Monday sounds and looks pretty good going from the full service history. All MBZ main dealer and then the same Indy MBZ garage. 81k on the clock and 2 owners previous.

ATF was done at 40k but not since, and it seems to suggest it’s never had a spark plug change as the box has never been ticked on any of the records. Is that just done with a B service as standard?
I had read that they don’t need changing until 140k so that would explain it, assuming that info is correct.

Is there anywhere I can see what the service schedule is on a 2007 SL350?
Good luck with your viewing .... check the boot carpet isn't wet... Boot seal ( bottom of rear window) water ingress through here is a known issue on SLs leading to electrical issues.

wow that was a huge faf to get the Aux battery out for the guy in the Vid... interesting to see it needed changing so soon on such a new Merc...
Agreed, but the question has to be: "did it?"

For sure it may have been low, but was that just some kind of temporary usage issue?

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look at that. I do know there are jump starting points in the engine bay of my 231, just no battery. I finally got around to reading the manual.

Apologies to OP for going OT.

Re Youtube clip...possibly... he might have just needed to condition the aux battery which might have worked. Does the convenience features allows roof folding etc without the engine on.? ... too much of that and it will kill the battery.. especially if the car is not driven enough to charge it up... my Indie told me most battery problems are with stop start cars.. due to the excessive use of the battery and consequently are being replaced every 2 to 3 years.... I can imagine the roof pump needs some heavy current.. along with the windows...Im just guessing really.

I just switch off the stop/start on both my cars, except on the SLK on the motorway. I don't do all that much stop-start driving in traffic jams, though.

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look at that. I do know there are jump starting points in the engine bay of my 231, just no battery. I finally got around to reading the manual.

Apologies to OP for going OT.
Yes, battery charging point that can also be used for jump starts, but that's to the main battery.

The aux lives off the main battery, being topped up "supposedly" as needed.

Good luck with your viewing .... check the boot carpet isn't wet... Boot seal ( bottom of rear window) water ingress through here is a known issue on SLs leading to electrical issues.
By all means check, I certainly do, but it's alleged that the water ingress issue was fixed in the 2006 facelift update to the R230.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom