2007 SLK280 auto poor starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yamaman

Car
2007 SLK280 auto/ w207 E-Class 350 CDI Coupe
Hi guys !!
My 2007 SLK Auto has developed a starting issue which now sees the car taking anything between 2& 6 turns of the key before it will start , when it refuses to start the engine spins over fine it just won't fire !!
After a few attempts it will start & then be totally fine !, the battery is good & the starter isn't taking excessive current so I know these are ok
I'm wondering if there is anything common on this model that may cause this problem , any help would be great as we've only just bought it & this issue is starting to blight an otherwise great experience of SLK ownership !! :dk:
Thanks in advance

Cheers

Mark :thumb:

If anyone might have any ideas on this PLEASE let me know , just a bit worried about my wife possibly being stranded somewhere if she's in it & it happens again !!
Will get in booked in as soon as possible to be looked at just would like some pointers if poss before it goes in !

Cheers

Mark:thumb:

If anyone might have any ideas on this PLEASE let me know , just a bit worried about my wife possibly being stranded somewhere if she's in it & it happens again !!
Will get in booked in as soon as possible to be looked at just would like some pointers if poss before it goes in !

Cheers

Mark:thumb:

Needs plugging into a star to find out because you could be throwing money away changing things that don't need changing. Sounds like crank position sensor but that's a guess

Thanks Steethawk !!...... I did wonder if that would be a possibility but wasn't sure as I was thinking that if a sensor failed then it failed , not work one minute then not the next !!!..... But I'll do what you suggested & get it hooked up to a Star & go from there !
Thanks again , I appreciate it :thumb:

Mark

Failing CPS typically results in the engine cutting out when hot and then OK again once cooled off. But as mentioned get the fault codes read ... guesswork otherwise.

I have replaced a couple of fuel pumps on 272 engined R171's.
Get it into a garage and have them check the fuel pressure from a cold start is my advice

Thanks WG-MB....... I'll get that looked at as first port of call !
Thanks for the input !

Cheers

Mark

Thanks WG-MB....... I'll get that looked at as first port of call !
Thanks for the input !

Cheers

Mark

Good luck
g.png

Thanks mate !!..... Will post how it goes !!!

Just had the car scanned for codes today & it came up with .......
0810 --- malfunction of secondary air injection ( right bank)
0814---- malfunction of secondary air injection ( left bank)
1781---- transmission control

I think the transmission code is just a spurious code as the car shifts & drives fine when running

I was wondering if the 2 air injection codes are contributing to the random non start issue at the start of this thread ??....... I'm not sure why this would stop the car from starting though but I'd love to have any advice/ feedback from someone who may know if these codes DO in fact have a bearing on my non start problem ?????

P.S ....... As soon as the codes were cleared the car started straight away ???

Cheers

Mark

UPDATE ON CAR
well after a 4 week period of being without the car due to much delaying by the warranty company they have agreed to replace the engine ECU as this was deemed the problem by the dealer ....... BUT I have to wait another 5 working days for the ECU to arrive
The dealer has been superb in dealing with this as it was an 'after market' warranty that was supplied with the car & I know that they have been a nightmare to deal with EVEN after the dealer telling them from the start that this was the problem !!!
It actually took the dealer taking a video of the car misbehaving & sending it to the warranty company to finally get them to agree to paying for it as when their assessor came to inspect the vehicle it ( suprise suprise) behaved perfectly & him being told that it was an intermittent fault .
The video showed the car misbehaving & the technician simply 'tapping' the ECU & the car firing into life & running perfectly ....... The tech had checked all the wiring / connectors concerned with the ECU before condemning the ECU i should point out , this wasn't just a random 'guess' LOL
Will update further once I have the car back !!!!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom