2007 Vito sport Tracking NIGHTMARE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez2312

Car
Vito
Hi all , hoping someone can shed some light on this .....

Long story as short as possible , all below refers to front

Vito 2007 , broke coil spring on front, spring replaced advised to have tracked .

Tyres were wearing inside edge ,

Had tracked looked to be a lot of positive camber , tyres now wearing outside edge !

Returned to garage (£60,000 laser tracking outfit)

Told camber was not setup properly last time (by them!)

Then told camber adjustment bolts were in top hole should be in bottom ! Then told that's not true , then told camber bolts don't touch anything as they turn so are in operative, now told need a camber kit . After phoning Mercedes they have no idea what this is !!!!!

Lost !

If any can tell me how and the procedure to set up camber on this , would be very grateful !

Are Vitos particularly difficult to track up ? Was told by tyre place he's never seen a Vito with even tyre wear !!

Someone must know the score with this ? Many many thanks from a confused Vito owner !

Hi both of the 639's I had used to wear the inside off but not by a large amount the dealer used to send them to a main tyre fitters for tracking as they seem to be a nightmare to do (ATS wouldn't touch them) changing the springs could have upset the geometry but most fitters mark where the bolts are before removing them TBH I replaced the springs on the last one & don't remember it being particularly difficult

Wearing the outside edge of the front tyres is quite normal for 639s, but not the inside AFAIK.

Ours hasn't been touched since it left the factory (rear springs have been replaced but fronts are original) ... I switch the wheels front to back to even out the wear.

Then told camber adjustment bolts were in top hole should be in bottom ! Then told that's not true , then told camber bolts don't touch anything as they turn so are in operative, now told need a camber kit .
My Vito was also wearing on the inside edge when I got it. My camber was out.
I adjusted it back myself, however (from memory) unlike when I did the rear wheel adjustment, there was no elliptical bolts in either top or bottom. I released both bolts & then manually manipulated the plate that they secure into true.
Sounds to me like the garage you are using has "all the gear & ,,,,," ;)

Incidentally (if they got that ^ wrong) you may want to "remind" them that to correctly set the front wheel tracking on a Vito, the tracking should be set with a spreader bar pushing the toe out.

The top bolt has an offset head that when rotated moves the hub, it still has to be set up as turing it does nothing.
Undo both bolts and the hub will move in and out at the top.
The key to geometry is the guy using the equipment and having the time to do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom