2007 W211 E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Defconluke

Car
W219 CLS63
So, I've been looking around for a new (to me) car and a Mercedes CLS/E Class is at the top of the list which is why I've joined up after reading many informative posts on those models.

Given that I don't do moon miles its got to be petrol powered and my man maths has led me down the path of if I can afford to run a 350 then I can afford to run a 500 so I may as well go for the E63.

As such, THIS has been the subject of my desires for the past couple of weeks.

It seems to have a nice spec that includes HK and Dynamic seats (my two most preferred options), has a clear MOT history, looks to have seen regular but low usage over the past few years and is well presented in a colour that isn't black.

Just hoping I've not missed anything too noticeable before arranging a viewing in the near future and potentially becoming the most frequent customer at the local petro station.

Great man maths there; man after my own heart!

I think you’ve covered pretty much everything in your post - it’s in a great colour, looks to have been cared for, got the main options you wanted and doesn’t seem too badly priced.

Things to look for: from memory the brakes are dearer to replace than what you’d expect (even for an AMG) and there was a head bolt issue that affected the early M156 engines so it’d be wise to do your homework with regards whether it’s already been fixed or not.

Dynamic seats are great :cool:

Not everyone likes the same stuff in cars, for that reason you’ll hardly ever find two MBs alike :)

Just had a look over the advert :)

The car looks alright, although silly things like budget tyres (with a chunk out of the tyre sidewall) and a cheapo battery etc would make me a little more cautious when inspecting it. See what the history is like, looks a little to me that it’s been maintained on the cheap?

It’s got NI plates fitted, and I’m guessing it was first registered over there, as the MOT history only goes back to 2015? Would be worth checking all the paperwork/service history/mileage is in order etc.

Boot badges missing maybe debadged, might have had paint etc.

All in, nice enough colour and mileage, but for me I’d either spend a few £k more on a 212 ‘63 or a little less for a 211 ‘55k, but that’s just me :cool:

Is it likely to be in the head bolt issue range (they stretch if they are the originals). It is one of the early 6.2 so may well be. OP worth doing a bit of googling about it as a problem so you can check individual cars.

It’ll definitely be in that range. Even some of the early 212 ‘63s were so a 2007 car will be well before those :)

I think forum member ‘Developer’ had the head bolts and tappets etc don’t on his first 212 E63 when he had that, as a guide for what’s involved (there’s a post on here somewhere)

Thanks all for the feedback. :)

The budget tyre on the front with a chunk out of it isn't an issue as they would be replaced sooner rather than later, perhaps with Avons like it has on the rear (I've had good experiences with them in the past).

I know the head bolts can be an issue on the earlier M156s but from what I gather it's almost impossible to tell what condition they are in without starting to take oily bits off which a garage will most definitely frown upon.
The brakes are expensive (there's one up on AT for £11K but has mentions of disc wear on the previous 2 MOTs) so I have looked at the cost of replacing but I can spanner a bit a have done brakes a few times before.

Early 212s are almost 50% more on top and 55Ks have their own issues like SBC, no flappy paddles etc.
If anything I'd save even more money and drop down to the NA 5.5 (probably in a CLS) like this.

Last edited:
Id personally buy a e55k over a m156 E class, If i did change for another AMG it would have tobe a Bi-turbo 212.

Sbc if it does need doing is around the same cost these days as front brakes on the m156 e63's

Brakes on the 55's are so much cheaper too. Flappy paddles can be retro fitted too

Dont know if this is still for sale but it looks lovely advantage also being a FORUM car

FS: 2004 E55k Estate

Best bet is just to buy what you feel comfortable with/prefer then. You seem quite confident.

E63 AMGs W212 Stage 1 Tune FOR SALE

^^Strikes me as decent value if you’re into power/mods, but it’s £5k more expensive (that’s an M157 bi-turbo though)

The ‘55k estate Gavin has linked to looks decent too :cool:

You could be lucky with that ‘63 in your first link, but maybe have it checked over first if you’re really keen. Has it had any air suspension work? Service history, ATF changes etc?

One way of looking at it, regards the head bolts, after 12 years/80k miles you’d think they would have been done by now if they’re likely to cause an issue.

It’s a bit like the Valeo radiator issue on earlier cars in some respect. Not all of them failed, but the consequences could be expensive.

If I’m honest though, the car in your link at £13k for an ‘07 saloon isn’t particularly good value, I’d haggle a fair bit - IMHO :)

.... my man maths has led me down the path of if I can afford to run a 350 then I can afford to run a 500 so I may as well go for the E63.

Yep. That's a proper, well thought out piece of budgetary excellence ! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom