2007 W211 Nearside door mirror help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ogwen69

Car
W211 E280 Saloon and W211 E220 Wagon
Hi, I've got two problems, both on facelift w211

First is mine, the mirror no longer folds either with key or with button. I've disabled the auto fold and left them out, but want to restore this function. I've taken apart as much as I can and cleaned/WD40 it, but no joy. MB have quoted £288 for a mirror assembly which to be honest I'm tempted to go with (unless one turns up on ebay) but how do I get the old one off? when stripping down I couldn't work out how to get it off the door.

Second is my dads, he carelessly clipped his on a post when reversing and bent it way too far the other way - he's now got the 'bulb out' error, but as it was a slow speed thing rather than smacking it at speed, would you think it's more likely to be a wire pulled too tight/snapped?

Cheers guys and girls.

The reason your mirror no longer folds is almost certainly down to a broken wire.
If you take the cover off inside the door directly behind the mirror, there is a chance you will see where its broken.

Firstly the non-folding, quite probably a broken wire you'll need to unwrap the the loom in the mirror where it folds.

Bulb out, again possibly a broken wire, can you check with a multi-meter?

Your mirror problem may well be a broken wire,these folding mirrors are a pain,my S320 plays games with it's mirrors, it is usually the drivers one not opening I always watch it as I open the door,if it fails I just slam the door ,it then opens,every now and then it is the passenger side that refuses to close again I open the car and then lock it and sometimes it will close sometimes it need a tap.I have never been sure if it is controlled by the door handle or something else.

Hmm wires seems to be the concensus - would this also be a cause of the heating bit and auto dimming bit not working in the same mirror?

(forgot to put that in original post)

Hmm wires seems to be the concensus - would this also be a cause of the heating bit and auto dimming bit not working in the same mirror?

(forgot to put that in original post)

Yes,almost certainly broken wires. You may need to trace the break right back to the plug inside the door.

uh oh - take it that's a door card off job? how tricky is that?

No need to remove the door card. Look at the Warning sticker and the small panel its stuck on in the following video ( at 6 second mark)
Ease that panel off, it only clips in, and the multiplug that connects to the mirror is easily accessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL18xw0dZyw

Yours will probably need a new mirror, the wiring for the motor doesn't move unlike all the others that break, as for the other car it will be wiring or it's been unplugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom