2008 C-Class estate boot wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hitby

Car
2008 C180K Sport Estate
Afternoon all,
New member here, looks like a treasure trove of information. Hopefully someone can help!

I've recently bought a C-Class estate (2008 C180k Sport) with the electric tailgate.

I've gone out to the car this morning and the boot is soaking with standing water in the wheel well. Has anyone else had this issue previously? Not sure where to start looking.

Thanks in advance

Leak from rear screen wash pipes was a problem in mine

Thanks Pontoneer. I haven't been using the rear screenwasher and it's definitely water and not screen wash. I'll check it out though (when the rain stops!).

[FIX]
MBCLUB

I've had this on a couple of my Mercs.

The several scenario fixes:

1-Make sure the tail lights are screwed tight & have the foam gasket in tact and in good condition.

2- Make sure that the boot's plastic gutter drip trays have the original Mercedes plastic pop reverts in tightly and they are not damaged.

3- The DREADED 3rd brake light- The double sided foam sticky gasket lasts around 10 years and merc don't make this part- only the whole 3rd break light. BUT there is a way around it.
Take the 3rd light out of the socket. Clean up all the foam sticky residue, tape up the front of the light with masking tape, masking tape around the boot lid hole, apply coloured or clear bathroom silicone. Place break light in and tighten from behind.

4- Make sure all seals have no cuts or tears

5- On pre-face-lift CLK'S & SL's, they have a large boot lid number plate tray, take this off the boot lid. Make sure the plastic pop reverts are in good condition. When reapplying the boot lid tray onto the boot lid, put drops of clear silicone on the holes where the plastic pop reverts go. Put a line if silicone around the whole area where the number plate tray goes.

6- Make sure the boot lid closes snug & tight against the seal. This will mean closing the boot with you inside and look for any beams of daylight. If so you need to twist the small circle rubber bumpers on the boot lid which line the boot up.
If this does not work, you will need to undo the bolts on the boot brackets and gently shift it left, right, back or forward to get a better closure seal.

7- If this still doesnt work, strip the inside carpets out, get in the closed boot with a decent torch. Get a friend to put a hose pipe in one area at a time, working right to left etc.

Hope this helps people-
Let me know if this solves your problem.

Thanks for all the info! Some things to check!

For what it's worth,
If I pour water on the roof it goes down the gap between the body and the tailgate then comes in around the plastic covering at the top of the window, it doesn't reach (the outside) of the third brake light, who knows where it goes inside. I can only imagine that it's going down the gap, then up and over the boot seal and into the car but the seal is in good condition with no tears or splits.

It's due its service in the next couple of weeks so I may ask them to look at it if I can't sort it myself.

I'll let you know how I get on

Hi Hitby,

How did you get on with sorting the leak out? I have just discovered a small pool in the tyre well. I have put some goldfish in for the moment.

There's so much water getting into mine I could keep carp!

Alas, I've not solved it so I'm going to get the garage to look at it on Friday when it's in for its service. I'll let you know what they come up with!

Well, I was apparently wrong when I discounted the brake light as the garage have stated that's where it's coming in. He said to try just putting silicone around it before getting it replaced as per dddooommm's post. He didn't mention actually removing it though and I'm not sure how I'd go about getting it out without breaking anything.

If that doesn't work I believe he said the part was £84 + fitting. A bit annoying but there you go!

Quick update. I took my car for the spring health check at Mercedes this morning. They confirmed that it was the rear brake light so it's booked in for a replacement next week. £156.60 including vat and labour. Not cheap but fingers crossed that'll be the end of the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom