2008 cl63 surpentine belt popped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wweekes

Car
2008 CL 63
2008 cl63 main belt popped. Belt was shredded i believe one of the pulley seized. When it popped all the lights came on esp, abs, battery, coolant low. Suspension dropped. Can someone let me know whats going on, did the airmatic computer also go?

The belt is linked to water pump, alternator, power steering, so quiet normal for all that to go and the xmas tree effect on the dashbaord, airmatic may have dropped as the valve may have been open when you lost power.

Alps said:
The belt is linked to water pump, alternator, power steering, so quiet normal for all that to go and the xmas tree effect on the dashbaord, airmatic may have dropped as the valve may have been open when you lost power.

So Alps, once the belt is fix. Will this fix the issue?

Should be ok when you replace the belt. The belt is ribbed rather than toothed , so is not synchronized like a timing belt. Obviously also need to check whether a pulley has seized . Always worth glancing at the belt when you check oil ,etc. Depending on miles, temperatures, etc the belt may well have perished .

Is there only one belt at the front? just so i can have a look at mine just to be on the safe side.

Broadly speaking there is only one serpentine belt on most vehicles. This is "ribbed" , ie multiple strands going the length of the belt ,which sit in corresponding grooves in the pulleys. If you have more than one belt it is prudent to check the other(s) ast the same time!

NOMONEYBUTAMERC said:
Broadly speaking there is only one serpentine belt on most vehicles. This is "ribbed" , ie multiple strands going the length of the belt ,which sit in corresponding grooves in the pulleys. If you have more than one belt it is prudent to check the other(s) ast the same time!

Okay i replaced the belt and pulley but the check engine light is on.

Not sure whether the "check engine" light needs to be reset after being activated , but i am sure the answer will be on here shortly .

Just re-read your opening post. Presumably the pulley that seized was an idler pulley ( with a bearing in it ) ? If not ,you may still have a faulty pump/alternator or whatever else is in that drive.

Okay i replaced the belt and pulley but the check engine light is on.

How many times have you started the engine since fixing?

I seem to recall the CEL only goes out after 5 compete cycles without the fault condition.

Okay everything solved. Took a simple obd scanner and erased the code. It was for low voltage and some fuel something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom