2008 CLS with slight rear arch corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aero

Car
ClS 320CDI
Hi all,

Trying to work out if it's worth approaching a dealer or MB direct with this as the car is in its 7th year. Service history is a mix of MB and indi. Not sure if this is stonechip damage (ie a get out of jail card for MB) on the wheel arch or something else, ie a poorly galvanised panel. Drivers side is slightly worse than passenger side. I can also feel some very slight bubbles on the inner lip of the wheel arch itself (about 2 or 3 o'clock position). The rest if the car is in great condition.

It's not a massive issue but I want to get it sorted before it spreads.

Any thoughts views welcome on my chances? Failing that can anyone recommend any reliable paint shops or mobile guys ? Picture of corrosion below if I've done it right...

image.jpg

Cheers

Is the picture on its side, if so that is where the clear stone chip plastic film should be. It wraps around that edge and goes inside the door jamb. Should be a larger piece on the door too.

Many reasons why it may be missing, previous damage repair or just looked ugly from pitting and an idiot dealer pulled them off etc. They do serve a purpose as they get covered it marks where stones fly up from the front wheels so best case that has happened rather than anything underhand. No leg to stand on with MB because it's missing even if it was a manufacturing defect

When you've had it fixed make sure you replace them, around a tenner from your dealer but need heat gun to fit and best left to a body shop.

Hi,

Yes pic on it's side unfortunately - should have rotated it to be clear. Thanks for info. I suspected it was stone chips from the front wheel. I didn't know there should have been came stone chip protectors (only had the car 9 months) hence I'll take the advice and get it sorted then properly protected as suggested.

Once again - many thanks for comment - appreciated.

No probs, sorry you had to find out the hard way. Like I said, many just peel them off and unfortunately you're paying the price for their stupidity. One dealer on here posted that they always peel them off when they get cars in!

This pic shows the two pieces you should have...

gf8_zpsb4507f50.jpg

No probs, sorry you had to find out the hard way. Like I said, many just peel them off and unfortunately you're paying the price for their stupidity. One dealer on here posted that they always peel them off when they get cars in!

This pic shows the two pieces you should have...

Hi do the w211 e class have these? Mine hasn't

Hi do the w211 e class have these? Mine hasn't

Nope, just the W219.

Almost a design flaw with it, the shape of the bodywork encouages stones etc to hit the bodywork which is why they have the plastic wrap.

Nope, just the W219.

Almost a design flaw with it, the shape of the bodywork encouages stones etc to hit the bodywork which is why they have the plastic wrap.

It's the beauty of the flared rear arches, wonderful looking car. I miss mine...

it is to deal with the CLS's wider rear track

Nope, just the W219.

It's the way bodywork scoops in under the waistline which means a lot of the front tyre stands out from the arch and then body swoops out again in front of the back wheel and combines with the slightly wider track giving the stones something to aim for.

Last edited:
LOL...design flaw...just like that mistake they made with the wide body 911 then :)

Well it is a flaw, if the body requires additional coverings then its a flaw :)

The facelift models don't have the protective coverings IIRC. Wonder how they engineered out the need for them. Or will we be seeing so rusty ones soon?

The facelift models don't have the protective coverings IIRC. Wonder how they engineered out the need for them. Or will we be seeing so rusty ones soon?

They do have the protective film . All 219's.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Trying to work out if it's worth approaching a dealer or MB direct with this as the car is in its 7th year. Service history is a mix of MB and indi. Not sure if this is stonechip damage (ie a get out of jail card for MB) on the wheel arch or something else, ie a poorly galvanised panel. Drivers side is slightly worse than passenger side. I can also feel some very slight bubbles on the inner lip of the wheel arch itself (about 2 or 3 o'clock position). The rest if the car is in great condition.

It's not a massive issue but I want to get it sorted before it spreads.

Any thoughts views welcome on my chances? Failing that can anyone recommend any reliable paint shops or mobile guys ? Picture of corrosion below if I've done it right...

View attachment 51147

Cheers

That is pretty shocking, the film stupid as it looks, clearly has its use!

My money would be on a dodgy repair, resprayed and the film was never replaced.

Never known of a rusty CLS...?

My money would be on a dodgy repair, resprayed and the film was never replaced.

Never known of a rusty CLS...?

Unlikely due to being the same both sides.

Several rusty CLSs mentioned in the forums over time, suffer from the same rubbish inner rear arch protection as all the others from that period where the liner sits inside the lip rather than over it like every other car on the market. Liner traps dirt and moisture inside and a few stone chips on the unprotected lip start the rot.

Unlikely due to being the same both sides.

Several rusty CLSs mentioned in the forums over time, suffer from the same rubbish inner rear arch protection as all the others from that period where the liner sits inside the lip rather than over it like every other car on the market. Liner traps dirt and moisture inside and a few stone chips on the unprotected lip start the rot.

On my e class I've removed all plastic arch protectors and cleaned all mud etc off then wax oiled thenput all plastics back. Do you think that's going to help in the long run?

Went over to talk with Andy @ Andysautobarn.com yesterday and he's seen this allot but more on slightly older Mercedes. He has a multi stage process to get this back to how it should be with the protectors in place and yes the liner nests into the lip of the arch causing this problem. Design fault but once fixed should see me through a few more years avoiding the tin worm down there hopefully.

On my e class I've removed all plastic arch protectors and cleaned all mud etc off then wax oiled thenput all plastics back. Do you think that's going to help in the long run?

Should do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom