2008 Le Mans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thats a no from me :)

Maybe next year whilst I'm on my placement :)

I've got a few things such as this on my list for when my son's old enough to come with me and enjoy it. If you're still around I'd be happy to join you ;) .

I've got a few things such as this on my list for when my son's old enough to come with me and enjoy it. If you're still around I'd be happy to join you ;) .

Adopt a child for the day, and pay for it in child benefits :)

Im being dragged off to a wedding in Malta, would rather go to Petrolheads heaven though seeing as I think the couple in question are making a huge mistake, my lot should be going this year anyway, look out for cars with a top gun style logo like;

500sec.jpg

last years trusty steed

So Le Mans will have to wait a year, sorry,

There was another thread about this a while ago, I think others from here are going,

Last edited:
update, dates of Malta changed so Le Mans could be on the cards..........

Going to Le Mans Classic. Much better event IMO.

I'll be going down from Kenilworth, Warks in a BMW 530d Touring.

At the moment there are just two of us so there will be a spare seat, possibly two, so if anybody fancies sharing the costs please get in touch for more details.

What are the requirements for driving in France? I know speed detectors are obviously to be left at home!

Hoping the weather improves as well...

What are the requirements for driving in France? I know speed detectors are obviously to be left at home!

Headlamp beam diverters (but I never bother)
GB identification
Spare bulbs
Warning triangle
Hi-vis gilet or jacket
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher
Licence, registration & insurance to be carried at all times (I use colour photocopies)

Last edited:

That lists things like bulbs, extinguisher, first aid kit and triangle as 'recommended'.

But failure to replace faulty bulbs, or failure to make efforts to put out a fire are fine-able offences. The warning triangle is compulsory, and the hi-vis jacket is a very recent introduction (in fact, I have half a feeling it only comes into effect on July 1st)

So first-aid kit etc not essential then?

What you need before setting off

A valid UK Driving Licence is required

A driver's minimum age is 18

A Camping Card International is recommended

A Green Card and Motor Insurance certificate is recommended.

Motorists should carry evidence of motor insurance (insurance certificate).

A Green Card provides additional proof that the minimum legal third party cover is held. For further advice please contact your insurance company

UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) are no longer obliged to affix a GB sticker to the rear of the vehicle when driving in France. A GB sign is still required when travelling outside the European Union

A crash helmet when riding a motorcycle is compulsory

Wearing your seat belt is compulsory

Motorway tolls charged

All radar detection equipment is prohibited Petrol, diesel & LPG available. Lead replacement petrol (LRP) is available and is indiciated on pumps as "supercarburant"

Children under 10 are forbidden to travel in the front seat

Compulsory products

Headlamp converters

Recommended products

Spare bulbs
A fire extinguisher
A first aid kit
A warning triangle

Publications and maps

Michelin - National Map France
Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe
Michelin Motoring Atlas: France
Michelin green tourist guide - France

So first-aid kit etc not essential then?

I'm not sure; I thought it was. But mine cost about £4 on the ferry, and it's a useful thing to have in the car anyway. The Volvo, that is. The Mercedes already has one :)

That lists things like bulbs, extinguisher, first aid kit and triangle as 'recommended'.

But failure to replace faulty bulbs, or failure to make efforts to put out a fire are fine-able offences. The warning triangle is compulsory, and the hi-vis jacket is a very recent introduction (in fact, I have half a feeling it only comes into effect on July 1st)

The AA list all of those things as recommended as well. The high-vis jacket a requirement for French registered vehicles only from 1st July - at this point.

The AA list all of those things as recommended as well. The high-vis jacket a requirement for French registered vehicles only from 1st July - at this point.

I didn't know the hi-vis was only for French cars. I only need one then. Not 2 :)

The bulbs and extinguisher are 'recommended' because you're not legally obliged to carry them. However, you are legally obliged to fix faulty bulbs, and to try to put out a fire (failure to do either can get you fined), and without the spare bulbs, or the extinguisher, you couldn't do either.

The first aid kit is advised, but the warning triangle is definitely a legal requirement.

Oh, and it's illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, even hands-free.
If approaching a 'STOP' sign, you must stop, even if there's no traffic coming.
It's illegal to drive with just your sidelights on
And, of course, somebody flashing their headlights at you means 'Get out of the way', not 'After you'

The AA & RAC both state the warning triangle as recommended - they also say the French government recommend the use of sidelights at all times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom