2008 Mercedes Vito EIS issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Superposh

Car
VITO
Hi,

I have a 2008 LWB Vito 2148cc CDI with an EIS issue.

Originally the van would very occasionally not start, or would cut out when in use. When the code reader was connected it was showing an EIS error. I had previously had a knackered battery and after a bit of googling it looked like the duff battery may have cause a fault within the EIS. I removed the EIS and took it to a place that repair these units but after a few days of testing they called to say they couldn't find a problem at all and it was working fine. I said they could keep hold of it for a bit and keep randomly testing it as I knew it was an intermittent issue. After a week they called to say the whole unit and key would need replacing and it'd cost me about £700! I was planning on selling the van anyway, so i said I'd have the EIS back and I planned to sell it with the intermittent fault listed. Surprise, surprise when I plugged the EIS back in it has no functionality at all, not even the steering lock disengages. I know they have completely wrecked it (or replaced the interior components with faulty ones as it worked fine almost all of the time before taking it to them. The problem is that I have no way of proving they have done anything to it so I just have to suck it up!

Could someone tell me exactly what I need to replace the EIS? I know there is the ECU, but when I have a quick look on ebay some people list the whole set with more than one ECU, steering lock or column and the instrument binnacle. I just need a definitive answer as to what is needed to be replaced to get the van running again. I think the ECU may have been the problem all along anyway as the testing of the EIS was supposedly fault free. I just want to get what I need to replace and get it up and running ASAP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That thread doesn't really help me. I just want to know what components need to be replaced to change the EIS and ECU as I don't think the initial problem was my EIS. I certainly don't want to be throwing money at the van as I know you can get everything that needs replacing secondhand for £200-300, that has all come together from another vehicle so will all be paired. I just want to make sure that the set I buy doesn't have anything missing.

You need to find out what your initial problem is first if you think that was not the cause of the non start.

You just need (if its an manaual) Engine control unit, EIS and keys that all match.

You need to find out what your initial problem is first if you think that was not the cause of the non start.

You just need (if its an manaual) Engine control unit, EIS and keys that all match.

What about the steering lock?

The EIS was ruined by the people who tested it as it's totally dead now, it worked 99% of the time before I handed it over to them. I can't figure anything out now the EIS is non-responsive.

Then you need to get it plugged into a Star to see what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom