2008 Motorshow - Why is the MB stand so seriously boring ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vijilants

MB Enthusiast
Car
W205 C43 AMG
I went to the motor show, and as per usual the Mercedes Benz stand was possibly one of the most boring stands.

Why do they never seem to make an effort year in year out at the British Motorshow ?

If you look at the Jap stands, they are far better presented and in all honesty make their stands look very impressive.

Big disappointment, but saying that, their stand always is a disappointment at any UK based show.

UK is a small market in comparison to US and Germany. Beemer had been absent for a number of years. It all to do with the cost I read a number of years ago. What the percentage of Merc in UK? The highest sellers are Ford and Vauxhall even though Beemer 3 outsold the Mondeo.

BMW, VW, and Audi were not there either.

It's Britain doing what it does really well. Messing about with formats, ideas, direction, style etc etc...some would say diverse. Others would say mixed up or indecisive. The British motorshow needs to be strong every year, at the same place, year in year out. Build and keep the reputation as a great event. The profile should rise - it should be prestigious reflecting British brands normally associated with Britain...Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston, Jaguar, Land Rover...they carry so much kudos and yet the motorshow is weaker in the eyes of the motoring world.

Birmingham...no London, no Birmingham, errrrr, Earl's Court...no...err Exel.... STOP MESSING ABOUT

My old man went last week and was most dissapointed all in all and that although Merc were present, new C class wasn't on the stand.

BMW didn't even have a stand....(!)

I figure the NEC would be a better bet....

The Alfa Romeo stand was great. One of the reasons being the high gloss red cars;)

Mercedes go to every big car show, every year. Good or bad event

I went last weekend with the wife and daughter and all of us felt that the day was wasted! Nice weather though!

For some reason the Excel just can not give a proper motor show like either Paris Frankfurt. I know, been to both. The MB stand at last years Frankfurt show was probably bigger than all of Excel together!!

Really boring and will not go back......

Volvo wasn't there either, wanted to see the finished XC60 :(

BMW, VW, and Audi were not there either.

Audi, Aston Martin, BMW, Caterham, Chrysler, Daihatsu, Dodge, Ferrari, Fiat, Jeep, Lamborghini, Maserati, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Skoda, Subaru, Volkswagen and Volvo weren't there!

Audi, Aston Martin, BMW, Caterham, Chrysler, Daihatsu, Dodge, Ferrari, Fiat, Jeep, Lamborghini, Maserati, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Skoda, Subaru, Volkswagen and Volvo weren't there!

Would it be easier to list who was?

Erm Jaguar....

The show was shafted when it moved to London, a lot of the big manufacturers did not want it moved from Brum due to access (Airport 2 mile away, trainlink on the mainline doorstep). But the organisers thought better and lost a big percentage of visitors and exhibitors.
1978 it opened at the NEC with over 1 million visitors, albeit a slow decline on attendance, 25 years later it goes back to Excel attracting 415,000 visitors. I'll report when info becomes available about this years show

2002 = 485,000 NEC
2004 = 461,000 NEC
2006 = 415,536 (ABC audited) Excel despite the dock rock
2008 = ? 420,000 (expected) Excel

My old man went last week and was most dissapointed all in all and that although Merc were present, new C class wasn't on the stand.

BMW didn't even have a stand....(!)

I figure the NEC would be a better bet....
There was a C63 AMG which like all of the Mercedes cars was unlocked for you to play in (not all manufacturers did that). I went and enjoyed the day, and at least Mercedes made the effort and attended. #

The Alfa Romeo stand was great. One of the reasons being the high gloss red cars;)
The models on the Alfa stand all dressed in black where worth a look too ;)

There was a C63 AMG which like all of the Mercedes cars was unlocked for you to play in (not all manufacturers did that). I went and enjoyed the day, and at least Mercedes made the effort and attended. #

The models on the Alfa stand all dressed in black where worth a look too ;)

yeah they are more willing to let you see their long legs and take some snaps and take your business card. Last chance to see them tomorrow.

Alfa are more interested in showing their models more than their cars.:D

I think it also goes to show that if the major European Manufacturers are not really interested in promoting themselves at the British Motorshow, it shows that the don't take the British Motorshow as a serious event nor are they all that interested in the RHD market.

In this day and age you would think that as a business, you would do whatever it takes to promote your business, but obviously they don't think that this market is worth the effort.

Many thanks for the link for the free tickets !!!!

I certainly think that it is not worth paying to go to this show.

You are much better off going to the Classic Car show at the NEC in November....it is a far better show with much more to look at.

Last edited:
Did no else watch the track displays outside at the heritage end. Standing ten feet from an f40 being driven was something i wont forget in a hurry:)

Did no else watch the track displays outside at the heritage end. Standing ten feet from an f40 being driven was something i wont forget in a hurry:)

I did wonder whether they were going to be doing runs around that track. Missed out sadly :mad:

It was a interesting day out all round, but that was mainly due to my visits to Tate Modern and the Natural History Museum when I got bored! I would really rather not have paid £10. I mean, it was alright, but little more than a large, glorified showroom. I did fancy having a go on the outdoor driving experiences but did not fancy queuing for over an hour in the blazing heat :eek:

I went yesterday. I really liked the Honda Stand...

The Mercedes Stand is boring. I sat in the CLS on display which looked very basic spec.

I was hoping to get into the Brabus Stand, and i inquired about the D6 chip. But the guy had the personality of an icecube. When my mate asked whether we could get in and have a look at the cars, he said no.

Looking around, i saw three kids with backpacks on pawing at the cars. They obviously got in. So i dont know what the hell was going on there.

What made the day go by faster was the eye candy on display. And i'm not talking cars here. We ended up going to the boy racer stand in the far corner. Got more than an eyeful lol, as did many others!

It was also £10 to park in carpark B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom