2008 Vito 110 Turbo core exchange problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robrow

Car
W124 300CE
Hi all,

Just wondering if I can pick someone's brains...

A friend of mine has a 2008 Vito 110 with a VNT, which was suspected of having a weeping oil seal, so I swapped it out for a new core (or cartridge), and rebuilt it. apparently it drove fine for a little while and then threw up P0299 low/high boost fault.

This is the model with the electronic actuator, and having not done one of these, I was careful to make sure everything was reassembled the way it came apart, and the position of the actuator was in the same relative position to the arm on the exhaust housing controlling the VNT.

He brought the van back to me and I adjusted it, slightly, and he took it for a test drive. seemed fine until he drove it home and it did the same again upon getting on the motorway.

Some reading on here suggests that the turbo unit and the electronic actuator are calibrated together and so swapping one or the other doesn't work, and will forever cause problems thereafter....if so is it possible to have this reset?

I was careful upon aligning the core with the exhaust housing and the VNT arm, the body is pinned and the arm located fine. I did notice that the VNT arm does not move (sweep) as much as the actuator arm moves, and wondered if this is normal? it was like that before I stripped it, and the same upon reassembly, so I would assume so but this is the first time I have done this job, so I am learning as i go, hence I am here asking for wisdom please!

Sorry for the disjointed message!

Cheers,

Rob

Has anyone ever changed a turbo core on this model?

Not on a Vito no, however Turbos and Cores generally don't work or if they do for a very short time (like mine did - one journey to Skipton and back and that was it Kaput!) what they do say is that the turbo and actuator have to be calibrated together in order to function properly (I'm unsure as to why that is and I'm an engineer) but it appears true as I bit the bullet got another completed unit and was as good as gold, back to boosting as normal and no limp home etc...

I'm confused,: I thought that the Vito 110 was one of the 638 variant, which were replaced by the 639 version back in 2004 afaik.?
So should a 2008 Vito not be a 109, 111, 115 or 120.?

My mistake sorry. Was late when posted. It is 2009 111cdi

Problem solved. The lock nut on the stop on the vnt arm had come loose, meaning the stop had wound in, reducing movement available. I reset the stop position, locked it up and cleared the codes. Problem solved. Moral of the story for me. Check the factory tighten everything.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom