2008 W204 Tensioner change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IslanderRE

Evening All,

I've a 2008 W204 C180K and I'm sure the idler / tensioner of the serpentine belt is the cause of the noise (Like a squeak) from under the hood so I'd like to change it out.

Has anyone done it? I'm thinking it should not be a big job as the engine is only 4 cylinders so I should have sufficient room under the hood once I take away the air intake and possibly the supercharger air hose too?

Looks like all torx bolts too; anyone have the torque figures for these to aid refitting?

Car had 81000 miles so I'm forgiving it for wanting a tensioner.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Evening All,

I've a 2008 W204 C180K and I'm sure the idler / tensioner of the serpentine belt is the cause of the noise (Like a squeak) from under the hood so I'd like to change it out.

Has anyone done it? I'm thinking it should not be a big job as the engine is only 4 cylinders so I should have sufficient room under the hood once I take away the air intake and possibly the supercharger air hose too?

Looks like all torx bolts too; anyone have the torque figures for these to aid refitting?

Car had 81000 miles so I'm forgiving it for wanting a tensioner.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

The M271 engine is prone to premature timing gear failure, more so on cars that were not serviced properly or where the correct engine oil (MB Spec Sheet 229.3/229.5) was not used.

The repair includes replacing not just the belt and tensioner, but also the two timing gear sprocket wheels.

Modified (strengthened) parts are also available.

If you Google M271 Timing Gear you will find more info.

There was a US-based forum that showed how this is done on a W203 C230K, which has the same engine.

But of course based only on your post it is difficult to tell if the above is indeed the issue or in your case it might be something much simpler.

markjay,

Thanks for the reply....

Its the idler / tension er of the serpentine (Fan Belt) I'm inquiring about.

Unfortunately I'm aware of the timing chain issues and hoping against hope that I dont suffer from that for a long time yet.

Any info on the serpentine belt tensioner; I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
markjay,

Thank you very very much for the links..... cant access them @ the minute but will will when I fire up the laptop.

Thanks again; appreciate it.

Well markjay,

Changed out the idler which is just to the right if the thermostat.
Was simple enough in the end.
Removed the air intake pipe
Removed the resonator pipe from the intercooler to the supercharger
Eased the tension on the serpentine belt
Undone the idler securing bolt and slipped in the new one

Reverse all the above and car running again.

Seems to have solved the issue I think but might be prudent on my behalf to change the exact idler mounted in the actual tensioner too.

Will see how things are in a few weeks. Car only has 81k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom