2009 -2012 A Class A W169 petrol or diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimist22

Car
volvoC30
Apologies if this question has been posted ad infinitum.
However, my current car is a volvo c30 2007 diesel and I do around 10000 miles a year steady motoring, it has proved expensive for repairs.

I am coming to change and the A W169 ticks most of my boxes - only drawback is not many available in spec I want, at age I want. I had not intended to buy another diesel but is it worth compromising on that ?

I welcome any comments on the decision.

We bought a 6 month old (5000 miles) ex demo A180 cdi Avantgarde in March 2012 to transport our grandchildren about.I nicknamed it the "Tardis" as there's so much room in it for a small car. 4 years later and 40,000 miles it hasn't put a foot wrong,only been back to MB for servicing once a year, (Not cheap), but keeps the Mobilo going. The diesel isn't the quietest unit but easily returns 55mpg+ on decent runs.
Only problem we've had is the oil level keeps creeping up ?? The MB tech who looked at it reckoned it was excess diesel getting into the oil because we do a lot of short journeys. Quick oil change at an independent and keep an eye on it.

That can happen on the old volvo d5s.

I went for a diesel merc as altho I only do 8k a year, after 5 years of driving a diesel I'm just used to the way it delivers. I do 12 miles each way to work, 19 of those cruising at 55.

Thanks - I appreciate you taking the trouble to reply.
Scooby Doo when you say 'isn't the quietest' are you being very polite - I like politeness and good manners. How does it compare to other cars you know ?
Apologies cause I do realise its subjective but its how people feel after they've had a car for a while. I can see you are very positive but if you were to buy another would you look for petrol.
I think I made a mistake with my last car so very wary now !!

Didn't mean to give you the wrong impression, it's not that noisy. I drive an E220 diesel Coupe so I'm probably comparing it to that. The best way to compare it is try and get a test drive in one and see what it's like. Haven't driven too many diesels but once you're moving they're all fairly quiet. I only cover about 6000 miles a year in my "E" class diesel but I've just ordered another one.

Thanks for returning. As you rightly say 'll have to try and and see.
Not like some diesels of old !

Apologies if this question has been posted ad infinitum.
However, my current car is a volvo c30 2007 diesel and I do around 10000 miles a year steady motoring, it has proved expensive for repairs.

I am coming to change and the A W169 ticks most of my boxes - only drawback is not many available in spec I want, at age I want. I had not intended to buy another diesel but is it worth compromising on that ?

I welcome any comments on the decision.

W169 is a fantastic car especially the later facelist model. If you can get an Avangarde then the equipment level is extremely good.
Dont discard the A160/1.5l Petrol. Its a nice little engine and if you are doing city driving with short trips is not bad at all in terms of fuel economy.

Try to be open minded between the diesel and petrol and go for the one that is in the best condition/millage and has the best equipment level

Regards

Theo

Thank you : that's a very good help. Its really only once a month when we have a four drive and back a week later. Most of my motoring is rarely more than 45 minutes, mainly shortish runs on country roads, and I'm not a racer.

We took the "A" class over to Belgium last summer, three adults,grandson & luggage, about 700 mile round trip. Plenty of room for all and very comfortable.

I used to have an A200CDI and my daughter drove a 180CDI. Both were comfortable, surprisingly roomy cars and more than up to long runs. I used to do a 400 mile round trip about every two months and didn't find it any strain. As has been said, once the car had warmed up it was more than acceptably quiet - not at all like diesels of old. No mechanical problems in four years of ownership. However, the only way to decide is to try a petrol and a diesel and come to your own conclusion. Nice practical car whichever you choose.

I am very pleased I made this post. The responses have been invaluable to me and I feel better prepared for looking than I've ever been before.
I appreciate people taking the time to help sharing their experience and knowledge - thanks again

I've noticed both my 2008 C220cdi and my friend's 2013 E220cdi have a more metallic sound to the engine, especially on idle, than my Bora and Focus diesels had, That said, as Wheelsnuts says, once it's warmed up, and when cruising, it's a lot quieter than both those cars.

The comparison with other cars is very helpful - thanks.

My better half had the older W168 diesel (a late one) from new for about 10 years and 100,000 miles. Other than an injector under warranty, there were no other problems.

That was replaced by a W169 A150 petrol which she's now had for about 6 years (also new, and we even hung on to the W168 for a few years at the same time, which I suppose indicates it was a perfectly good little car)

Initial impression of the petrol was that it was smoother, particularly initially when cold. Not much difference at motorway speed. Diesel was v good on fuel, petrol obviously heavier, but in general local use still does 40+ mpg.

The W169 seems to be a well designed car, with really useful carrying capacity, although ours doesn't have removable rear seats (W168 did and they were really useful, if heavy). It's fine on motorway, not in an SLS way, but perfectly fine for 'normal' use. I find it fine on long journeys, perfectly comfortable. Interestingly, the better half doesn't like the new A class.

Interestingly, the better half doesn't like the new A class.
Same here, but you can't really compare the two cars as they are totally different. With the W169 you have a good view all round, rear view in the new "A" class is so bad that I'm reliably informed that all new ones come fitted with rear view camera as standard.

Additional posts gratefully received. The thread has exceeded my hopes for knowledgeable information when making OP.
I dislike the new A Class intensely as another design over function production.

There's no denying the 168/169 A Classes had a chequered history,but I think they did get it right in the end. Even when it was in production I suspected it would be one of those cars more appreciated for its virtues as time went on.

W169 compared with the W176 (new A class) are two completely different cars. I owned the W169 and I have driven extensively the W176 in two different version (A180 CDI Sport and A250 4Matic AMG) . The W169 is a great compact spacious family all a rounder. It has massive space for its size and very confortable ride for both short and long trips with very good visibility . On the other hand the W176 is more mainstream and more of a drivers car but has a lot less space of feels like. When we replace the W169 we went for the new B class as it was closer to our old A class. Saying that when my wife drove the new A Class she loved it but said to be its not for a family with kids. If she was single then the A class was the car to go for. And I think that explains the Mercedes strategy. They wanted a compact car for a different market segment. Before the A and B class were targeting the same one

Regards

Theo

We've had a W168 diesel & number one son had a W169 petrol.
Both very capable cars. Interior space probably as much as an E Class!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom