2009 AUDI R8 V10 Burns into a crisp in Nurburgring!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Robbed from another site:

Based on the Lamborghini Gallardo, there's no question the Audi R8 is about as close to an Italian supercar as any German vehicle can get. Unfortunately, it seems Audi's V10 R8 prototype has inherited a less-than-desirable trait known to Italian supercars catastrophic engine fires.

4-audi-r8-v10-engine-fire.jpg

While the base R8 has a good old-fashioned German V8, a more powerful version under development features a Lamborghini V10 powerplant. Since Gallardos are generally not noted for engine fires, we don't think prospective R8 V10 owners will have anything to worry about, once engineers work out all the bugs.
The test driver was not hurt.

3-audi-r8-v10-engine-fire.jpg

V10 power on the way. More air will be fed to the ten-cylinder through larger side scoops, which jut out sharply from the body-side, adding a more aggressive stance to go with its increased power. The lower side sill also gets an extra flare which runs along the wheelbase, adding further visual cues that this is the true uber-Audi. The changes are subtle enough to be obvious only to those in-the-know, thus keeping the R8's clean lines as uncluttered as possible.

EARLIER:
5-audi-r8-v10-engine-fire.jpg

Naming mystery. Some reports speculate that the new engine could also bring about a
name adjustment upgrading the R8 moniker to R10 but nothing has been announced officially.
There has also been speculation about Audi using the "RS8" badge, but this seems highly unlikely due to the confusion it would create with respect to the A8 and S8 lines. What's more, calling the vehicle RS8 would prevent Audi from creating a more powerful version of the S8 at some point in time.
The most likely names, therefore, are R10 and or R8 S similar to TT S. As for power, the two additional cylinders should add somewhere around 80 horsepower to the 420 hp produced by the R8's V-8 engine.

8-audi-r8-v10-engine-fire.jpg

Early word suggested that Audi would detune its V10 which is largely shared with the Lamborghini Gallardo keeping it below 500 horsepower, so as not to upstage the Lambo. However, with the introduction of Lamborghini's Gallard Superleggera (which is pumped up to 522 hp), the R8's V10 may actually reach the 500 horsepower mark

Ouch! Nice motor though (was)

Saw one of these R8's today on my commute. Very nice looking and sounding car indeed.

Not sure if I've been driving with my eyes shut or whether this is one of the first on the roads in the uk.

Anyone else seen one?

Huge Grunt has just bought himself one .... might be him ?

Anyone else seen one?

Funnily enough yes, I saw one in sussex on Saturday near the Ashdown Park Hotel. Black, looked very mean

This one was silver, on the A316 near twickenham stadium.

Could possibly have been Hugh, similar age/hair couldnt be sure though, went by me too fast and I had my head glued to the mobile at the time. ;)

Seen one on the M40 last week ... and very nice it was too .. love the front end !

I saw one on tuesday evening driving through manchester. they're aren't many around but they are there.

dave

These things sometimes happen with development cars. Our German friends are just as likley to have an incident as us Brits despite the reputation for 'thoroughness' (I know I've worked with them!) but it's always a shame to see so much work go up in smoke.
I saw a lovley silver R8 a few weeks ago, oddly enough at the Nurburgring....:rolleyes:

I work near an audi dealer in cardiff and there are a couple that go tamping up and down the nearby dual carriageway at lot - always a moment to stick your windows down, the exhaust does give a wonderful note.

Last week I tried out the new V8 M3, nice but now a completley mad car, the bonnet bulge is huge when you sit in it and the sound is great but a bit muted, it's also very bumby and neck jerkingly quick. Not for £60k though wayyy to much for a 3 series BMW. Thought the 2nd hand 1 yr old ones on the forecourt much better value for money at £30K. Lets face it 4.8 to 60 or 4.7, cant really tell.

So, then we go to the local Audi garage where they have 2 R8's in the showroom. It really is a truly stunning car, one of them was all warmed up tyres were hot and the enging was clicking as it cooled, sat in it and got the supercar feeling straight away. Hmmm thinks I, this has just been out on a run so i'll ask for a test drive.

Now we get the really twatty sales guy and the conversation goes something like this...............

me: I tell him I'm in the market for a car like this.
him: Cant have one till 2009
me: How about a test drive to see if I like it?
him: show your intention 1st
me: Like how?
him:£5000 deposit, then you can have a test drive
me: I might not like it, if I like I will put a deposit down.
him: nope, no can do
me:who does this one belong to?
him: audi UK, so we cant sell it only use it as a test drive car
me::confused: so what are we waiting for?
him:need to see your intention
me: how long will you have this as a demonstrator?
him: maybe 2-3 months
me: what then? does audi sell them as ex-demonstrators
him: yes I suppose so
me:do they put a mark up on them?
him: no it will be sold as list, maybe less
me:is there a waiting list for this one?
him: not that I know of
me:well put me down for it then, but I want to know if its worth buying!!!
him:will call you and let you know
me: see ya I'm off to see the nice Porsche man who will let me test drive his new 997 C4/S

1 week later still not heard from him.:crazy:

Now I'm not some twit with no money but this guy just did not want to sell me a car, so I called up Audi in Milton Keynes (not HQ but dealer) and "not a problem sir just let us know when you would like to go."

Now I really want that Porsche but maybe the R8 is drawing me in....:cool:

Who wants to buy an ML? ;)

Mark.

When you get one go back to the first dealer and show the dealer principle your new car and tell him just how much you wanted to buy from his dealership.

That should get he T**T the sack..

Saw one of these R8's today on my commute. Very nice looking and sounding car indeed.

Not sure if I've been driving with my eyes shut or whether this is one of the first on the roads in the uk.

Anyone else seen one?

I had a play with one heading down the A1M on Saturday whilst out on my bike, it`s surprisingly quick :crazy:

Also I was under the impression there is a big problem with Gallardo`s catching fire, have a hunt on google or you tube, and there`s hundreds of videos of them burning to the ground :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom