2009 B180CDi alternator issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gcon45

Car
W204 C220CDi Facelift
Hi guys.

My wife was driving home today and the battery warning light came on a few times. Afterwards a message appeared to say the car would shut down within 3 minutes.

She pulled over and I came out with a new battery and fitted it.

The car started ok but the battery warning light still comes on.

I brought the car into our garage and tested the alternator with the engine running and it shows 11.73 Volts, this would normally be around 14.

It looks like we need a new alternator. What do you reckon?

I thought the alternator belt might have broke but as it drives the power steering (and the power steering still works) I assume it must be ok.

Any advice / opinions?

Not sure with your model? You may be able to replace just the regulator/brushes. Try a Google on this. That will be cheap and quick.

Alt should push out up to 14.8 at 2.5k RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Thanks for the reply!

Replacing the regulator / brushes would be a lot cheaper and are usually the cause of the problem.

A Bosch remanufactured alternator is around £300 + VAT then there's a good few hour's labour on top of that.

I'm just wondering if the B180CDi has an over running alternator pulley (clutch pulley)?
If this was faulty (ie - spinning freely without driving the alternator) then there would be no charge getting back to the battery.

Perhaps the pulley is solid on these though. I'm just surmising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom