2009 clk 220 cdi vibration / wobble at high speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jb1972

Car
2009 CLK 220 CDI
Hi

Just bought my 2009 CLK 220 CDI Avantgarde 6 weeks ago off a Mercedes Dealer and whilst I have not had the best of starts with the car I really do love it. So far I have had the following replaced under the Mercedes Benz tier 1 warranty – four new parking sensors, two new rear shock absorbers, transmission oil change and filter (which they forgot to do) and two new front tyres (dealer supplied)!!!!!

The car has just under 55,000 miles on it and drives and handles really well BUT whenever you go above 65 miles an hour I find that it begins to shake / vibrate just ever so slightly – am I obsessing just too much or can there really be something wrong ???? I think my local dealer is just about sick of the sight of me!!!!

I just traded in my GT Tdi VW Golf for this but have to admit that cruising at high speed in it was more comfortable and a better ride !!

Has anyone any thoughts or similar experiences ?????

The shake or vibration is not normal so it needs to be looked at. Mine is as smooth at 100+ as it is at 30. Have the usualy suspects checked, maybe the balancing on the new front tyres to start with?

Hi Pete

The new tyres were Contisport contact 5 and had all four tyres balanced and realigned - cost over £300.00 but I thought it was worth it if it cured the issue.

It is really smooth at low speeds but just after 60ish I don't think it is a smooth as it should be - my parents 8 year old 100K mile E-class is much smoother.

If it were front imbalance you would feel it mostly through the steering wheel. If it were a rear wheel to blame it would generally be less shaking but felt throughout the car from my experience. It sounds like one of the rears to blame from your description. Either imbalanced, tyre wear or wheel damage.

It may also be worth checking your steering damper for leaks too as this can result in a similar edgy feel to the car when the damper is shot. (only £30)

Hi Spike

Thanks for the reply. The car only covered around about 1500 miles since its last service in Jan 2012 so I suspect that it was parked up for a while before it was sold to me in July 2012 – the front tyres were badly cracked on the inside when I checked so the dealer replaced these at their cost.

I checked the rear tyres inside and out last week and had them rebalanced but it is no better – the rear tyres are Marangoni so not the best anyway but little or no wear on them at all. There is no wobble in the steering wheel but I notice a vibration in the seats – especially when I look over at the passenger seat after 60mph and a slight vibration through the rest of the car.

10.5 months left on the MB Tier 1 warranty but the last day they drove it they said it was fine !!

I'm sure its the tyres.

I bought a Honda Logo once with some slight vibration at higher speeds (in the steering wheel). Tyres were rebalanced and still no good.

I explained the situation to a local garage and they were feeling the tyres for any bulge or anything else. Lo and behold, one of the tyres had a slight bulge on the side wall. Got that tyre replaced and no more vibrations on the steering wheel at high speeds.

Mercedes should be super smooth at 100MPH+

My E320 CDI and my father's E280 both have no vibrations at those high speeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom