2009 e350 cdi OM642 DE30 vs later 2011 model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malphadour

Car
CLK 270 CDi
I have just moved on from my trusty CLK270 to an E class Coupe E350CDI and very swooshy it is indeed. One thing that I noticed when looking at various models was the increased power and better fuel economy of the 2011 onwards models (and also £65 less tax). Are these engines identical, and the 2011 just had a better map from MB, or did the later version have any physical changes to it? I'm contemplating a map and wondering if it will get me to around or better power and economy than the later engine model.

Thanks in advance - oh and if anyone has recommendations for a tuner would be much appreciated.

I have just moved on from my trusty CLK270 to an E class Coupe E350CDI and very swooshy it is indeed. One thing that I noticed when looking at various models was the increased power and better fuel economy of the 2011 onwards models (and also £65 less tax). Are these engines identical, and the 2011 just had a better map from MB, or did the later version have any physical changes to it? I'm contemplating a map and wondering if it will get me to around or better power and economy than the later engine model.

Thanks in advance - oh and if anyone has recommendations for a tuner would be much appreciated.
It is a very mappable engine buddy , normally on here it’s MSL and GAD that get recommended for tuning , neither of which are near you (Birmingham and Essex)
You have a good Indy at Clevedon (Steve at Avantgarde Mercedes) , he might be worth a ring to recommend someone locally ?

They are mostly similar but hardware wise, the 265bhp version at least has different (uprated) injectors which helps with the power and a mild remap, as well as a 7G+ gearbox vs the 7G which helps with the fuel economy (along with the 80nm extra torque of the 265bhp version). The engines are almost identical, but I can see that the PCV design is also different on the newer engine, as well as a slight tweak of a couple of turbo pipes.

The 265bhp version also seems to have less chance of having the older oil cooler seals, meaning that your chances are better of not having the dreaded oil cooler seal leak. My 231bhp car already had this work done by MB when I purchased it 2-3 years ago.

The 265bhp version puts out less CO2, but I've seen a lot of 231bhp cars miraculously come up as ULEZ compliant on the reg checker - but I have no idea if this is a weird anomaly or if some of the 231bhp cars actually have less NOx output.

The 265bhp cars are better in lots of little ways, but your car is still great (I have the 231bhp version too). The change of the engine and gearbox was in early 2010.

As above, GAD are boasting 300bhp and 700-710nm with a stage 1 remap on the 231bhp car - most other companies seem to be getting to 285bhp and 650+nm or so. In any case you will be more powerful than the other model (which is 265bhp and 620nm stock) - but a remapped 265bhp car will be more powerful than the remapped 231bhp car. The 7G+ box can also handle more torque.

A remapped 265 car can be pushed to around 310-330bhp and 730-750nm by GAD, depending on milage/condition of engine. Again, other companies are not offering quite as much, but most places will get you to 300bhp+ and 700nm+ from pretty much any remap company.

P.S. - Why GAD seem to be getting higher numbers than every other remap company on this remains a mystery other than 'just 'cause'. They certainly do have a lot of experience with these engines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom