2009 E350 tyre sizes - Pressures - Tyre pressure Monitoring Innop??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sicario

SUPPORTER
Car
W212 2009 E350 Avantguarde
Morning all, i have offset 18" rims on the E350 with 265-35-18 on the back, i wanted new tyres on the front so i was advised i should have 245-40-18 on the front, which i have done, it had 265-35-18 on the front????

Since then the tyre monitoring innop warning comes up upon startup, along with ESP innop, when i restart TPMS to reset tyre pressures all is then fine and the ESP light goes off too, but when i restart again, it happens again, every time

The battery seems sufficient, this has only happened since i fit two new front tyres. Are the tyre pressures read from the valves or the wheel speed sensors? Any suggestions guys?

And please dont give me any of this lock-down social distancing bollack$, my job requires me to work, one front tyre had a nail in it, the other side had chunks missing from the tyre wall, the tyre place was open, i needed new tyres as the ones i had where unsafe, i didnt shake anyones hand, i didnt go near anyone, didnt cough near anyone, i gel`d my hands after i paid, so please dont patronise

Last edited:
Morning all, i have offset 18" rims on the E350 with 265-35-18 on the back, i wanted new tyres on the front so i was advised i should have 245-40-18 on the front, which i have done, it had 265-35-18 on the front????

Since then the tyre monitoring innop warning comes up upon startup, along with ESP innop, when i restart TPMS to reset tyre pressures all is then fine and the ESP light goes off too, but when i restart again, it happens again, every time

The battery seems sufficient, this has only happened since i fit two new front tyres. Are the tyre pressures read from the valves or the wheel speed sensors? Any suggestions guys?

And please dont give me any of this lock-down social distancing bollack$, my job requires me to work, one front tyre had a nail in it, the other side had chunks missing from the tyre wall, the tyre place was open, i needed new tyres as the ones i had where unsafe, i didnt shake anyones hand, i didnt go near anyone, didnt cough near anyone, i gel`d my hands after i paid, so please dont patronise

The first thing you need to do it to get it plugged in. This will guide you to the cause of the warning. Do you have metal valves fitted or rubber?

It seems to have corrected itself, the error message hasnt appeared for a few days, i plugged in my MB2 again and havent seen any fault codes, strange one.

These cars are tyre pressure sensitive. I run ours with 35/37 which is a smidge above the manufacturer recommendations. Standard 18” rims

Previous front tyres were wearing on their edges both inside and outside which is due to low pressure however that was at 33psi which is what the manufacturer says. So let’s see how we get on.

The E350 cdi is an absolutely brilliant Benz. It will serve you well.

Don’t wanna open another one as it’s almost the same topic: summer tires for a 2009 E350 CGI

any recommendations? I have 18inch wheels. Any reason to pay for Mercedes marked ones (MO). I was looking for a pair of 245x40x18 Conti Premium 6. For both rear and front. Any reason to go wider on the rear (265)?

No reason to pay MO but IMHO reason to pay premium brand. Its last 2m in braking which counts... Conti has been top in many tyre tests.
I would go factory size anyway, I used to have slightly more narrow winter tyres but often they felt slack or softer for some reason. If using wider in rear, must profile match so that you get 'precicely' (< ~3%) same diameter for both rear and front, to avoid cruise control and ABS errors.

Are your rims all the same width? My 18`s are staggered meaning they are wider on the back so i have 265/35/18 on the rear and 245/40/18 on the front, which is what is recommended for some reason.

rims i think they are the same as they have the same tires on them now. in the car's papers i have more tyre options ranging from 16" to 18"

for 18" i have two options with same size rear/front (245/40/18) and different size rear/front (265/35/18 + 245/40/18)

was curious about advantages of going wider on the rear

as for MO i found with little to no difference in price... was curious if really there is something different in those models

Wider on rear = more traction, narrower on front = lighter steering

sorry for the stupid question but 245/40/18 requires different rim compared to 265/35/18?

Its not stupid, it depends if all four rims are the same width, the tyres will just sit different depending on which way you go.

think i'll just stick with same size all arround (245/40/18). guess will make my life easier :) and i'll go with the conti premium 6

rims i think they are the same as they have the same tires on them now. in the car's papers i have more tyre options ranging from 16" to 18"

for 18" i have two options with same size rear/front (245/40/18) and different size rear/front (265/35/18 + 245/40/18)

was curious about advantages of going wider on the rear

as for MO i found with little to no difference in price... was curious if really there is something different in those models
Short answer, if there’s little difference in price and you don’t have any better information to go on, then go for MO. The long answer however...

I use the Pirelli Performance Centre (PPC) in Burton-upon-Trent for buying/fitting new tyres and they also store my summer and winter tyres. It’s the flagship PPC and is owned and operated by Pirelli themselves.

Whilst I was there a few years ago, I asked how much of a difference there really is between the manufacturer homologated tyres, and to my surprise they guy I was talking to was able to show me, never mind tell me!

He had a board with four cross sections cut from the same size tyre, 305/30 20 I think, but which had been homologated for the specific requirements of four different manufacturers - I think he said Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi and a fourth.

Sure enough, you could see the differences, with different combinations of: bead shape and size (square or circular); width and depth of chorded section across the width of the tyre; shoulder profile; rim protection, etc. Fascinating.

I wish I took some photos now, including our old (N0 Porsche) and new tyres (MO Mecrcedes) side by side: the shoulder profile was different in shape, and the MO tyres have a rim protector (N0 didn't), and that's just the difference visible from the outside.

The guy explained that Porsche are not only very strict in the event of a warranty claim if the wrong tyre are fitted, he said unless exactly the right tyre is fitted some Porsches wear the shoulder very quickly because the geometry set up requires the right should profile.

Fascinating! Or at least I thought so.

All of that said, I deliberately run tyres homologated for Audi on two of our Mercedes as I know from experience that they last much much longer with no discernible compromise in performance or economy.

Also, two of our cars were supplied by Mercedes with tyres homologated for Porsche. I couldn’t believe it the first time, and was stunned when I saw it a second time.

MO I wold go for sure. I mean there is a difference in price, but I never planned on making (these kind of) savings when I chose this car ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom