2009 S Class Bluetooth - Need HFP?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingsize

Have just bought a Jan 2009 S320.

COMAND has Bluetooth enabled, and can see my iphone 5, and shows it (with a padlock?), and says something along lines of 'iphone is detected but not activated..' or some such (car still with dealer).

Do I need to buy a Bluetooth HFP attachment? the car is prewired, but if COMAND already has Bluetooth on board, should I need more gubbins?

Am feeling rather stupid - can anyone advise?

Thanks....

According to this, a Jan 2009 car will need a Bluetooth unit plugged in to the pre-wire. The fact that COMAND knows your phone is there suggests that you already have one plugged in. Check the instructions on the site linked for pairing details.

The headunits have had bluetooth built in since about 2004 but are not able to pair to a phone. Just because the car sees the phone it doesnt mean there is a bluetooth adapter plugged ino the the UHI connector.

S Class had NTG3 upto about mid 2009 build. For this you will need a bluetooth adapter connected to the UHI connector.

From mid 2009 build onwards it changed to NTG3.5 which has full bluetooth connectivity built in so no need to have anything connected to the UHI connector.

So whether you need a bluetooth adapter or not depends on which system you have. From what you have posted you have NTG3 as it is a Jan 2009 car.

Last edited:
The headunits have had bluetooth built in since about 2004 but are not able to pair to a phone. Just because the car sees the phone it doesnt mean there is a bluetooth adapter plugged ino the the UHI connector.

S Class had NTG3 upto about mid 2009 build. For this you will need a bluetooth adapter connected to the UHI connector.

From mid 2009 build onwards it changed to NTG3.5 which has full bluetooth connectivity built in so no need to have anything connected to the UHI connector.

So whether you need a bluetooth adapter or not depends on which system you have. From what you have posted you have NTG3 as it is a Jan 2009 car.

Many thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

Does it matter which HFP unit I buy? There seems to be 3 updates..

Bluetooth pairing

I'm struggling to bluetooth pair my iphone 5 with my 2007 s class and not sure I understand solution from this thread. Sorry for being dull but could someone please explain in 'janet and john' terms. thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom