200TE & 230TE manual estates - gearbox interchangable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schutzy

Car
1988 230TE
I'm new to this so please pardon any blunders here!

Please could somebody tell me with 100% certainty that the gearbox, propshaft and clutch of a 1988 230TE are exactly the same and therefore transferrable to a 1990 200TE. They are both estates.
Here's why:

Since I bought her for £500 two and a half years ago, I've been drivinig a trusty grey E reg 230TE manual and troublefree apart from the clutch slave which was a relative cinch to replace after several hunderd miles of semi-clutchless gearchanging.

At the time of the clutch trouble, I was advised that the car was doomed and I bought off eBay from an acquaintance for £500 a newly refurbished G reg 200TE, fine except she's cream... say no more - I am a gardener and not driving brides to weddings!

So the 230TE was sorned and I began using the 200TE, aka the Cream Dream. Trouble struck when the propshaft came adrift at the gearbox end and with the most horrendous noise we came to a grinding halt.

Desperate for wheels to get to work, So I rang Mercman in cornwall and he said NO PROBS and sent me a slave cylinder for the 230TE clutch. I parked the 230TE over a ditch and with much swearing and some tears (fluid in the eyes) managed to replace the dud slave and BINGO, my darling Schutzwagen was back on the road.

Now, problem. Two huge estates and minimum budget. So I have had the propshaftless Cream Dream off the road for months until today when I finally managed to unbolt the propshaft at the diff end and tow her to a mechanic with a lift. It seems easiest to steal gearbox etc off the 230TE and put them onto the 200TE but I need to be sure before I start accumulating a huge mechanic's bill that this is possible.

Can anyone help?

Thanks v. much!

I'm not sure whether the "Thanks" button worked so just wanted to say Thank you very much! Muchly relieved, work begins tomorrows... Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom