200TE Auto - low power - hills are a no no

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter01443

Car starts and ticks over fine. On part throttle sort of ok. But once you give full throttle there is a loud induction noise, but no power particular at higher revs - wont rev much over 4000rpm. Going up hills is only really achievable on light throttle which means speed drops dangerously low.

Compression test gives high enough readings although the gauge builds up as engine turns over (I am told this suggests worn rings). Would this cause these problems? I am sure (as I can be) that there is something wrong with Fuel Injection or an air leak in inlet manifold (hence loud induction noise on full throttle). Possible?

I have a manual 200E which I can use to scavenge parts or engine, what problems might I encounter in swapping engines bearing in mind one is manual and one is auto?

I am too far away from anyone who has a Bosch diagnostic system.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks

PS: TE is 1991, E is 1990

well there are no differences in the actual engines, you may have an extra vac pipe or two but you can swap them over easily...

Unless the engine is burning copious amounts of oil then the lack of performance is nothing to do with the low compression.

As far as I can see the only things that could create induction roar under load would be either a burned out inlet valve, missing air filter or collapsed filter blocking the air intake.
Maybe a loose intake after the filter but before the throttle flaps could cause this noise and depending on where the air mass sensor is located it could cause low power also.

Are you sure the problem isn't a blocked exhaust as that will starve the engine of power at WOT and will cause a roar sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom