2010 C250 CDì Sat Nav Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midsomerjambo

Car
C250 CDI
Hi,

Up until recently my 2010 C250 CDi satnav worked fine but now it has frozen and I understand this may be due to a GPS antenna or antenna amp issue. Having searched around I am unable to locate the part I need to replace as I haven't been able to find any photographic or video help. If anyone can help me with this I'd be very grateful.

Regards, Gerry

Might be worth adding, I recently replaced the DPF pressure sensor which necessitated removal and re-installation of what I assume is the main computer.

Give Comand online a call with your Vin# handy.
They can advise and supply/fit any parts necessary.
Based in Lightwater, Surrey off J3 of the M3

Firstly, the issue with the Audio20 unit on your pre-facelift W204 is not related to the engine ECU.

Then, a faulty GPS antenna typically causes zero satellite reception which means the satnav doesn't know where it is, but it won't cause your Audio20 unit to 'freeze'.

I would suggest a hard boot by pulling the relevant fuse, if this does not help then give Comand Online a call as per ANGeed's post above.

Many thanks for your help with this chaps. Can you tell me which fuse(s) I need to pull and which fusebox(es) it's/they're located in? Also, having looked at the link you provided @markjay, where would I find the black box (my car's a saloon) and what does the other end of the wire connect to? (I'd imagine one of the dashboard units but I don't want to assume and if it is, would it be the display or the control unit? Or does it go somewhere else entirely?). The eBay lists items with different connectors - can you tell me which one I need? Finally, is there a video you know of that walks through the replacement process? I apologise for picking your brains like this but I've spent quite a lot of time searching the web and reading articles but I haven't really got very far. So thanks again in anticipation.

W204-Fuse-Allocation-1.jpg

W204-Fuse-Allocation-2.jpg

W204-Fuse-Allocation-3.jpg

W204-Fuse-Allocation-4.jpg

'Radio Systems' are listed as 26, 81, 84.

26 is in the fusebox in the engine bay on the driver's side.

81 and 84 are in the fusebox in the right-hand side of the boot.

Not sure what you mean by 'black box' (the Audio20 unit?), and also you didn't actually describe what the issue is - other than to say that it was 'freezing'. The system comprises of three pieces of hardware: the Audio20 unit, the Navigation20 satnav processor (and GPS antenna), and the screen. It's difficult to tell from your posts which of these might be at fault.

Many thanks again @markjay. By black box, I meant the square unit at the end of the cable in the eBay-listed replacement part you provided. My issue is that the satnav doesn't work - everything else to do with the infotainment system seems fine (radio, iPod, CD, bluetooth to my phone). When I select satnav, it displays the map but it's stuck on Melksham which is possibly where I was when it broke down (I live in Trowbridge). When the car moves, the map doesn't and I get no satnav audio. The map scale can be changed and the satnav audio volume can be adjusted (although I've no means of telling whether that actually works). Also, the country selection appears to be Germany and when I select UK in the satnav country config the Save function is greyed out. Although it appears that UK is selected, it seems to flick back to Germany (which is presumably the default) when I go back into config. It does allow me to enter a UK postcode and it appears to load the requisite route but after that, nothing happens.

Would I be right in thinking that the GPS antenna and satnav processor are part of the external sharkfin aerial? If not, where are they located? If I obtain the part you suggest, do I leave the inoperative component(s) in place and if so, where does the replacement part go? What does the connector on the replacement part connect to?

Firstly, I didn't provide the link you mentioned... you must have seen it elsewhere. Then, the GPS antenna is incorporated into the sharkfin antenna on the roof, but MB also supply a more simple GPS antenna that sits inside the dash (it is meant for use on retrofits, but can also be used if you don't want to replace the sharkfin antenna). Have you tried pulling the fuses yet?

I did try pulling the fuse (26) - no joy. The other 2 fuses you mentioned aren't fitted. I think where you typed "GPS antenna" in your post something called SkimWords created a hyperlink in your post to eBay. At least that's what it says when you hover over the link.

Hi all,

I ran out of enthusiasm for fixing this issue when I was told by the guys at Comand Online that the audio head and/or the display would have to be replaced. I am thinking about selling the car now, so I'm back looking for a solution to the sat nav issue. If anyone can be bothered to look through the above thread and suggest a cheaper and less complicated solution, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, MSJ

I’m not sure a non-functioning sat nav on a 12 year old car will be that much of a disincentive to a buyer. Technology has moved on so much since then too.

I’m not sure a non-functioning sat nav on a 12 year old car will be that much of a disincentive to a buyer. Technology has moved on so much since then too.
You're probably right @AndrewOI but I'd like to get it fixed as long as it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Might be worth trying a new antenna then (an in the dash one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom