2010 E class boot opens randomly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daryn

Car
Mercedes E Class
I've just got a 2010 Mercedes E class saloon, and every now and then over the past 3 weeks of ownership the boot goes mental. It sometimes start to pop open and I can actually hear the solenoid clicking while the boot is open too as if I'm pressing the boot release on key fob. It's driving me crazy but I've discovered that if I wrap the key in tinfoil or take the battery out it stops happening then as soon as put the battery back in or remove from tinfoil the boot starts to pop open again. I'm thinking the keys broke. Does anyone know if this is common or not and if I can fix it or if it needs a new key from dealers?. Many thanks.

Wrong section could admin please move to correct place

Not heard of it, but I'd take the key apart and clean it.

If you take the battery slide tray out, you'll see a little white plastic notch in the middle on the circuit board.

If you put the valet key in behind this and pull, it'll slide out the circuit board.

You can then give it a clean with electrical contact cleaner, or isopropyl alcohol. It's ok to 'bath' the board in it, just put it somewhere warm for a few hours to thoroughly dry off before reassembling.

Worth a shot.

Thanks for the help, I couldn't find how to dismantle the key.

I've checked the key, it's the chrome style without battery slide tray, it's just a cover pops off and you out the battery in there then put cover back on. So how to I dismantle this style key?.

Mine's chrome too. Does your battery tray not slide out of the back? Maybe yours is different/newer.

You show me yours and I'll show you mine. :/

EDIT: Here. Is yours not like this?

Last edited:
No mines only takes one battery, when I slide the emergency key in a panel pops off the back for a single battery to go in. I'll try find a pic on Google to upload

Mines like this

cfa5cc8f.jpg

But can't get the top off and don't want to risk breaking it as I only have one key for the car just now.

Ah, it got updated in 2010. Yours is one of the first 4th generation keys. Mine's 3rd.

Looking at this, it doesn't seem the new one opens or is servicable, as this repair service doesn't seem keen on touching them either.

$_35.JPG

Bathing it in electrical contact cleaner is still an option, as it all evaporates. It boils at room temperature, so you can safely assume it's all gone after an hour or so left to dry... :dk:

...as I only have one key for the car just now.
Without wishing to state the obvious, the one key you do have seems to be playing up, so would it not be wise to order a second key from the dealer now?

I know another key isn't cheap, but if this key packs up completely you're well and truly stuffed.

Right tried the ipa bath and it cleaned a lot of loose crud out the innards. Key worked a dream for about 24 hours then as soon as I parked at my mums it no longer works to unlock central locking, the only button that does work is the boot release button and this now closes the central locking instead of opening the boot, hmmm, needs a new battery and only changed it 3 days ago. Something I've noticed tho is it seems to be certain places that it's playing up. Where I live is fine and the boot has opened once I think but every time I go to my parents the key is sending a signal nearly constantly, you can actually see the red light blink over and over again and hear the boot click while its open. So just now I'll hunt the second key out and get a new one ordered from dealers.

So just now I'll hunt the second key out and get a new one ordered from dealers.
Sounds like a very wise move...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom