2010 E350 C207 aircon condenser leaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

McT

Car
2010 C207 E350
My aircon is hissing and i have no proper cold air so have traced this back to a leak in my aircon condenser in front of the radiator so guessing a replacement required. Does anyone have any idea how much these cost and how big a job to replace? Looks like a bumper off job to me.

Thanks
Paul

Ebay, perhaps £100.
Start to treat bolts with plusgas now to make easier.

I think it sits inside of the coolant rad and might well only be outable with that pulled forward.
Tbh I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at time in case other rads actually need to be removed.

Maybe Youtube can help.

Lie something under the bumper to avoid paintwork damage.
2 bods to remove and replace is easier.
Consider a pressure sensor while it's empty.
Have ATS nitrogen test it prior to refill, it's a more reliable test than the machine vacuum test.

m80, thanks for the reply

Whilst i am ok with basic spannering i think i am going to hand this one over to "the air con guy" to do to be honest. Even if i changed the condenser myself i'd still need to get him in to regas the system.

You could get a fixed price from an MB Indie.

So long as the quote isn't silly i'll probably get the air con guy to do it as he will do it on my driveway. Will keep this updated for info.

Reactions: m80
I've been quoted £250 all in to do the job which doesn't seem disastrous to me given that the condenser is £95 alone and he estimates ~4 hours to do the job

4 hrs is about right, i jsut did mine ont the clk 320cdi, not a bad job and for 250 it would have been a garage job.
100 parts
50 for the re gas

McT , I am fairly handy with a spanner and a hammer and have done such a job on SWBO old Zafira . but for £250...I would just pay the man and let him get on with it 👍

I always take the bumper off. You’ll see people who ***** around and yank it out from the top, but to be honest it’s a piece of cake if you take the bumper off first. It’s only a few bolts, not rocket science

So, the mobile guy came and did the job and was here for a good 4 hours. He refunded me the £45 diagnostic fee for the first trip out and said it didn't need the estimated £55 worth of gas so only charged £45 so ended up paying out £240 which i can cope with especially given the aircon is now blowing out between 3 and 4.5 degrees. Obviously i'll need that very regularly living in Scotland. 🤣

P.S. Happy to recommend him so if anyone based in the central belt of Scotland wants his details please DM me. Not sure if sharing here allowed.

Yeah, i thought was pretty fair all in.

I did ask about how long the gas is good for and he said you lose around 10% in the system each year so recommends a re-gas every 2-3 years. Never really gave that any thought before.

The old condenser did have a couple of leaks in it so was well shot but it was 11 years old.

now blowing out between 3 and 4.5 degrees. Obviously i'll need that very regularly living in Scotland.
I check mine by rotating dials to minimum and seeing if the inside air is cooler than outside.
How did you ever manage to find out?

Guy had a thermometer gun with a cable reader that he fed into the dash vents to check

Glad to hear you got sorted. I need to replace my A/C condenser. Mine was only blowing as cold as 8.2 to 7.8 degrees.

Car was in for an A1 service today I asked to have the Aircon checked today. And had confirmation I need a new A/C condenser.

Hope to have all sorted by mid next week. I imagine the condenser on the car to be the original part. Will update when hopefully sorted.

This thread has been helpful. 👍

AC condenser replaced, AC blowing nice and cold. All sorted 👍

I have an electronic temp probe that I use sometimes when cooking , it goes down low enough in temp to tell me the car's AC is working well when it is put down the vent into the ducts. It has a sharp point on it so go easy. I have used it on 4 different marques so far and still not punctured anything hidden...always a first time though :oops:.

Bit like this one.

I'm about to do mine on my 2011 E350. I'm guessing at the condenser, and that's the most likely culprit. I can get a Denso condenser, which is the factory install, for £150. Merc want £300 for thr part at trade price. I've already ordered the two seals for the in and out pipes; about £6 for the pair from MB Grangemouth. Fingers crossed for ice cold in a few weeks!

I'm about to do mine on my 2011 E350. I'm guessing at the condenser, and that's the most likely culprit. I can get a Denso condenser, which is the factory install, for £150. Merc want £300 for thr part at trade price. I've already ordered the two seals for the in and out pipes; about £6 for the pair from MB Grangemouth. Fingers crossed for ice cold in a few weeks!

I had the Indy I use install the new condenser. He got a MB factory part for about £150 I'm sure it was on the invoice.

I asked him did he have to take the front bumper off. He says no it was rather straight forward. He had to move the PS pump and and few other bits he got it out ok he said.

I replaced the thermostat myself a while back. I'm sure I could have done the condenser but I left it to him. As I had the car in with him to give the car an A service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom