2010 ML350 (W164) Power Steering squeak / whine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speedcheese

Car
2010 ML350 W164
Recently took delivery of a very low mileage (20K) 2010 ML350. Car is immaculate, save for one niggle - when the steering is turned at low speed there is a sort of squeak coming from the steering somewhere. It's not the whine that I've heard from other power steering systems under load, much more of a squeak.

I took it back to the main dealer and they had one of their mechs do the full 130 point check over the vehicle (again !) and they assured me that it has a clean bill of health and this is just something that these cars have. Thing is, I rent a lot of cars and have had this model many times and I've never heard this noise before.

So my question is, before I contact the dealer again, is this something commonly found on this type of car and, if it is, what causes it ? I've seen a technical bulletin for another Mercedes model (W203 I think) that talked about a firewall boot needing greasing but not sure if that applies in this case. FWIW I can see no sign of steering pump leakage or fluid on my driveway and, in any event, I feel sure that Mercedes would have picked up on that as part of their checks if there was a leak.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

I have a 2010 ML 300 and have no squeak from the steering.

I have a 2010 ML and it does squeak/clunk from the steering wheel, I took mine to a MB dealer and indi and both said this was fairly normal and typical of the ML!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom